Hi,
Having read the above I do would like to make a few comments without wanting to be a pedantic smart-ass.
From my experience within the medical field (yes, I happen to be medical doctor with a great interest in diving medicine) I have often seen and heard how non-medically trained people interpret medical knowledge/facts and pass that on to others, often with the best intentions. So please, please, please be very careful about giving out medical advice to others when you don't have the proper training.
I'm not claiming to be an expert on diving medicine, but as far as I can recall that particular test Frogfish (Robert) mentions was never mentioned during the courses I took. I did a quick Google and maybe you're referring to this article Aviat Space Environ Med. 1976; 47(9):993-4 First of all, this article dates back to 1976, that's 30 years ago and alot has happened since, and the study has only been done with 18 patients...that's very few.
I would like to refer to "Bennet and Elliott's Physiology and Medicine of Diving", 5th Edition (It's considered to be the "Bible of Diving Medicine"...it's very dry literature though about a wet subject).
I would like to quote
(Chapter 10.6 Manifestations of Decompressions Disorders; Diagnostic Methods p 587): "There are no highly sensitive or specific diagnostic investigations for DCI. Equally there are no investigations that have been shown to correlate with the response to treatment. Thus the history and clinical examination remain the principle techniques for assessing patients. ...."
(Chapter 10.6 Manifestations of Decompressions Disorders; Hematology and Biochemistry p 593): "There are no sensitive and specific hematologic or biochemical markers for DCI. Most attention has focussed on the hematocrit, which has been noted to rise in severe cases of DCS, but which is often normal in cases with significant symptoms. Moreover, it is not clear whether increased hematocrit is a marker of disease or a predisposing dehydrated state. ...."
From what I've seen and heard, most cases of decompression illness are treated with a USN Table 6 and during the course of that table, patients are continuously monitored and assessed at regular intervals. The result of such an evaluation will determine if the Table 6 is extended or switched to another Table (at greater depth)
Again, I don't claim to know all, but I think the blood sample taken from the person mentioned in the first post was simple a standard procedure to have an idea of his/her hematologic and biochemistrical status, e.g. to rule other other illness.
If you have any more questions about or an interest in diving medicine, there is a very good website available Scuba-doc and Dr Ernest Campbell is willing to answer most of your questions.
Hope i'm making any sense without having created even more confusion 

Regards,
Bart