Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Push button controls and new 9 inch dome port

Started by Marc Furth ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Push button controls and new 9 inch dome port

7 posts
  1. Dan privately e-mailed me with a question about my push buttons I made for my own housing.

    I thought I'd reply here and show off my new wide angle dome port I made.

     

    The push buttons I made are very simple if you can gather the right parts.

    You can buy the springs over the shelf but I opted to have them made from 316 stainless steel.

    I calculate the spring tension, the OD, and length I needed and If I remember it correctly it cost me $ 250. to have about 5,000 made at one time. The spring OD is .250.I use a special end mill I had ground to .253 to drill the holes. The shaft is 1/8 inch precision ground type 303 stainless steel rod. I use a standard 1/4 to 1/8 inch o-ring for the seal. I use a slightly smaller flat OD nylon washer between the spring and the o-ring so is not to damage the o-ring under pressure. I mold the 1/4 inch push buttons around the 1/8 shaft with yellow urethane. I hold the other end while under pressure using a standard 1/8 inch nickel plated brass shaft collar. If you don't want to mold your own push buttons you can use the same shaft collar for the push button, but you'll have to use a longer length 1/4 inch nylon spacer under the shaft collar to push on the spring. This might be a little over simplified explanation but it's really simple to make and quite reliable to date.

     

    My newest DIY project is a 9.25 inch acrylic dome port which works great with my Nikkor 10.5 mm. I also made a 6 inch port but the 9 inch is my favorite for halve under and over shots.

     

    Housing%20controls.jpg

     

    Marcs%20housing.jpg

    Edited by Marc Furth
  2. Dan privately e-mailed me with a question about my push buttons I made for my own housing.

    I thought I'd reply here and show off my new wide angle dome port I made.

     

    The push buttons I made are very simple if you can gather the right parts.

    You can buy the springs over the shelf but I opted to have them made from 316 stainless steel.

    I calculate the spring tension, the OD, and length I needed and If I remember it correctly it cost me $ 250. to have about 5,000 made at one time. The spring OD is .250.I use a special end mill I had ground to .253 to drill the holes. The shaft is 1/8 inch precision ground type 303 stainless steel rod. I use a standard 1/4 to 1/8 inch o-ring for the seal. I use a slightly smaller flat OD nylon washer between the spring and the o-ring so is not to damage the o-ring under pressure. I mold the 1/4 inch push buttons around the 1/8 shaft with yellow urethane. I hold the other end while under pressure using a standard 1/8 inch nickel plated brass shaft collar. If you don't want to mold your own push buttons you can use the same shaft collar for the push button, but you'll have to use a longer length 1/4 inch nylon spacer under the shaft collar to push on the spring. This might be a little over simplified explanation but it's really simple to make and quite reliable to date.

     

    My newest DIY project is a 9.25 inch acrylic dome port which works great with my Nikkor 10.5 mm. I also made a 6 inch port but the 9 inch is my favorite for halve under and over shots.

     

    Housing%20controls.jpg

     

    Marcs%20housing.jpg

     

    Hi

    Marc

    Just back froma shoot.

    Nice stuff.

    I will have a look at you dsign carefully.ooks great.

    Do you have a scematic drawing.

     

    Dan

     

    Do you blow your own domes?

  3. Hi

    Marc

    Just back froma shoot.

    Nice stuff.

    I will have a look at you dsign carefully.ooks great.

    Do you have a scematic drawing.

     

    Dan

     

    Do you blow your own domes?

     

     

     

    Hi Dan,

    No I don't have a schematic but I'll do one better an send you a complete assembly if you give me your address. Just post your results when your finished is all I ask.

     

    Secondly, no I don't blow my own Domes but make about everything else if I can.

     

     

    Marc

  4. Hi Dan,

    No I don't have a schematic but I'll do one better an send you a complete assembly if you give me your address. Just post your results when your finished is all I ask.

     

    Secondly, no I don't blow my own Domes but make about everything else if I can.

    Marc

     

    Wonderfull. More pics needed :D . Whis to know how to make something similar.

     

    Those are my creatures: work in progress

     

    and:

    need to add a button here

     

    cheers. :D

  5. Hallo!

    I like your push buttons! Can you send me some more photos and detailed instructions how to make one? I would like to know where did you get the Dome for your domeport? I would like to make my own housing but have no idea where to start. Can someone give me some links to help me out?

    Thanks!

    Edited by tjaz
  6. Dan privately e-mailed me with a question about my push buttons I made for my own housing.

    I thought I'd reply here and show off my new wide angle dome port I made.

     

    The push buttons I made are very simple if you can gather the right parts.

    You can buy the springs over the shelf but I opted to have them made from 316 stainless steel.

    I calculate the spring tension, the OD, and length I needed and If I remember it correctly it cost me $ 250. to have about 5,000 made at one time. The spring OD is .250.I use a special end mill I had ground to .253 to drill the holes. The shaft is 1/8 inch precision ground type 303 stainless steel rod. I use a standard 1/4 to 1/8 inch o-ring for the seal. I use a slightly smaller flat OD nylon washer between the spring and the o-ring so is not to damage the o-ring under pressure. I mold the 1/4 inch push buttons around the 1/8 shaft with yellow urethane. I hold the other end while under pressure using a standard 1/8 inch nickel plated brass shaft collar. If you don't want to mold your own push buttons you can use the same shaft collar for the push button, but you'll have to use a longer length 1/4 inch nylon spacer under the shaft collar to push on the spring. This might be a little over simplified explanation but it's really simple to make and quite reliable to date.

     

    My newest DIY project is a 9.25 inch acrylic dome port which works great with my Nikkor 10.5 mm. I also made a 6 inch port but the 9 inch is my favorite for halve under and over shots.

     

    Housing%20controls.jpg

     

    Marcs%20housing.jpg

     

    Marc

     

    Can you relink or post the photos pleas

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.