Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Space Shuttle Night Launch

Started by loftus ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Space Shuttle Night Launch

7 posts
  1. I know this is not an underwater issue; but this is the only photo forum I participate in.

    Tomorrow night I hope to photograph the space shuttle launch over the Florida East Coast.

    My concern is to get decent exposures for a night launch; and of course the action is over within a few seconds, particularly getting the shuttle when it is still pretty low in the sky. I plan to be about 30 miles from the launch site, camera on a tripod etc and setting the D200 on 5fps with bracketing of exposures.

    Anyone have any suggestions for exposure settings?

  2. I know this is not an underwater issue; but this is the only photo forum I participate in.

    Tomorrow night I hope to photograph the space shuttle launch over the Florida East Coast.

    My concern is to get decent exposures for a night launch; and of course the action is over within a few seconds, particularly getting the shuttle when it is still pretty low in the sky. I plan to be about 30 miles from the launch site, camera on a tripod etc and setting the D200 on 5fps with bracketing of exposures.

    Anyone have any suggestions for exposure settings?

     

     

    Set your camera up on a tripod and your shutter speed to Bulb at f8 and take a 2 minute time exposure ....

    Just make sure you keep enough sky in the image ....

    If you are in Winter Park, head over to Titusville and shoot it from 13 miles away with the marina in the foreground. (If that close though, close f stop to f 11.)

     

    Just hope the sky is not overly cloudy, or it may be a short view ... as well as a short streak in your image.

  3. Thanks,

    I'll give it a shot. I plan to be on the beach just North of Titusville.

    Looks like it may be scrubbed due to weather though.

     

    Set your camera up on a tripod and your shutter speed to Bulb at f8 and take a 2 minute time exposure ....

    Just make sure you keep enough sky in the image ....

    If you are in Winter Park, head over to Titusville and shoot it from 13 miles away with the marina in the foreground. (If that close though, close f stop to f 11.)

     

    Just hope the sky is not overly cloudy, or it may be a short view ... as well as a short streak in your image.

  4. Thanks,

    I'll give it a shot. I plan to be on the beach just North of Titusville.

    Looks like it may be scrubbed due to weather though.

  5. If you are North of Titusville, the shuttle will be heading up and slightly to the left.

    It will be heading up to the northeast.

     

    If you are shooting digital, take approximately a 90 second exposure at f11.

    Set the lens as wide as you can and place the pad in the near bottom right hand side of the frame.

    Do not include too much foreground .... maybe place your horizon approx 10 to 15 percent above the bottom of the frame.

     

    Open the shutter at T-0 ... and just enjoy the view.

    If you tried to take pictures from that (or any) distance .... you would never "see" it.

     

    If it goes into clouds ... leave it open anyway as it may pass into holes between them.

    It makes for a nice shot actually.

     

    Weather looks bad ... but we are in Central Florida ..... Could change on a dime.

     

    I attached a photo of "Discovery" this morning for you.

    post-5107-1165508942_thumb.jpg

    Edited by jjkmmarino
  6. Sounds like I'll have to carry your camera bag for you some time. :wacko:

    Ryan told me that you're 'the man' for shuttle pics.

  7. Sounds like I'll have to carry your camera bag for you some time. :wacko:

    Ryan told me that you're 'the man' for shuttle pics.

     

     

    Hi,

     

    Hold my bag? Don't know ... way too heavy.

    Ryan is too kind.

    One of these days, I am going to get it right.

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.