Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Color Matching in Final Cut Express

Started by limeyx ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Color Matching in Final Cut Express

6 posts
  1. Here's the dilemma.

     

    I have some footage shot with two different cameras (one SD and one HDV) at the same time in the same place.

    However, I manually white-balanced the HDV camera way too red, and the SD was left on "auto"

     

    Now, of course, I'd like to use both sets of footage back to back in a Sequence (one set is a diver filming a diver filming and makes quite nice cut-backs etc)

     

    obviously the switch from one clip to the next is quite bad as in one the colors are all reddish/brown and in the other green.

     

    The green footage looks way better than the red (even though it is SD).

     

    I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for filters/settings in FCE to bring the two close enough together so it will look reasonable, or if I just need to give up and either erase the whole lot or just try to fix the reddish/brown.

     

    here's a couple of screen grabs

     

    11-BeyondSuJac-Red2.png

     

    tape69-11%20-%200_09_27_25-Green1.png

     

    You can see the kelp is the main problem (red in one, green in the other) -- looks quite ugly at the transitions.

     

    Any help would be gladly received! (I can also post clips if that works better but I didnt want to chew up people's bandwidth)

  2. The only way to match them is to color correct. I'm not familiar with FCE so I don't know what they left out but 3 channel correction should fix that problem easily.

  3. The only way to match them is to color correct. I'm not familiar with FCE so I don't know what they left out but 3 channel correction should fix that problem easily.

     

    Thanks for the reply. I was kind of hoping for some guidance that was FCE-specific (i.e. what video filter would work best and which values are best to adjust etc.)

     

    I have tried the RGB filter but having a hard time matching it up

  4. Here's a piece on using "match hue" in Final Cut Pro 5 by Andrew Balis from Ken Stone's great Final Cut Pro website that may be applicable to FCE (I hope?!) "Match Hue" is found in the Color Corrector 3-Way filter.

     

    Mary Lynn

    Edited by Mary Lynn
  5. Here's a piece on using "match hue" in Final Cut Pro 5 by Andrew Balis from Ken Stone's great Final Cut Pro website that may be applicable to FCE (I hope?!) "Match Hue" is found in the Color Corrector 3-Way filter.

     

    Mary Lynn

     

    Thanks so much. Gonna check it out.

  6. Hmmm, on first glance the match hue seems not to be in FCE.

     

    However, I found a laymans approach. Add a video filter of type Quicktime/RGB

    set red to 60, green to 110-150 and blue to 130-150

     

    Seems to do a reasonable job (well, good enough to convince me the footage is saveable. I will tinker with the exact params later during editing)

     

    Have to check it still looks good in large size also, but I am hoping it will.

     

    still, thanks for the info.

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.