Skip to content

Trip Reports and Travel / Archived topic

Canadian west coast

Started by mexwell ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Canadian west coast

6 posts
  1. Hello everybody,

     

    I did not write for some time but right now we are planning our honeymoon trip to

    the canadian west coast. We will fly to Vancouver in may 2007, get a camper and

    travel around the west for 3-4 weeks.

     

    Of course we will dive and "take some pictures".

     

    I am looking or any good recomandation of dive shops which organize daily trips and

    the best places around.

     

    From what I already researched Port Hardy on Vancouver Island is a must.

    But which dive shop?

     

    How far north is it worth to travel? From my understanding may might be still pretty chilly :P

     

    We are looking for at least three different location to go diving along our journey.

     

    I am looking forward for your response...

     

     

    PS: Liveabroad is no option because we have the camper for the whole time.

  2. May is not too early for Port Hardy, I dove it this May. Here is a list of operators for each area. Port Hardy being in the most northern part of Vancouver Island and Victoria in the most Southern part of Vancouver Island.

     

    As for local dive shops in Port Hardy...I think there are some operators but I have never used them as the best sites are a short trip out from Port Hardy. I have had lunch with this operator once before we headed out for the live aboard. Catala Charters http://www.catalacharters.net/diving.html

     

    I can suggest (on the Island) Pacific Pro Dive in Courtney/Comox. They also dive in the Nanaimo area

    http://www.scubashark.com/indexscuba.html

     

    In Nanaimo where they have sunk two large ships just out from Nanaimo and Sundown Diving operates there. http://www.sundowndiving.com/

     

    If in Victoria in the south you can dive Ogden point from the shore and dive shop on the breakwater. Ogden Point Dive Centre http://www.divevictoria.com/

     

    If you have any questions or need suggestions feel free to PM me after you check them out.

     

    Cheers

    Todd

  3. To dive out of Port McNeil or Port Hardy, try Sun Fun Divers. Steve LaCasse is an excellent operator, although the boat is a bit rustic. I would recommend diving out of Telegraph Cove as well. The undersea life is just as lunch as Port Hardy, but different, and visibility tends to be better.

     

    http://www.sunfundivers.com/

     

    Also in Nanaimo, Ocean Exploreres is a good reliable operator. Dodd Narrows is exquisite for colourful life if you're not into large pieces of sunken metal. It has to be timed right for it has crazy currents. Orlabar Point is a dive that you can do from shore, or boat.

     

    www.oceanexplorersdiving.com

     

    I concur with Todd about Ogden Point; they are excellent, and their boats are really nicely set up.

     

    Cheers,

    Marli

  4. DynaMike's in Campbell River is a good bet for the way up to Port Hardy

     

    DynaMike charters

     

    Ditto Ogden Point. Erin is a great operator with a couple of options. I have some TRs for Race rocks and Gulf Islands on my blog as below.

     

    Jack

  5. Hello guys,

     

    thanks a lot for the links. I already did a quick check and think we will find some very good

    spots allover vancouver island.

     

    Do you have any ideas if there other worthwile dive destinations in BC farer to the north?

    We are not decided where our trip will take us.

     

    Thanks again!

  6. The Sunshine Coast has some great diving; albeit different again. I would still concentrate on Northern Vancouver Island. The issue with the Sunshine Coast is finding operators willing to go with less than a full boat charter. However there is good shore diving to be done, and campsites nearby. Send me a PM and I can send you some details.

    Cheers,

    Marli

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.