Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Focus gear for the NIkon 10.5mm

Started by nordic ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Focus gear for the NIkon 10.5mm

4 posts
  1. Hi,

     

    Do I need focus gear for this lens ?

    (Aquatica housing D200)

     

    Thanks

    Jan

  2. I don't think you want to focus this manually. Its so wide and fast (with f2.8) the DOF is so large that only a small change in focus brings it from close focus to infinity. I wouldn't want to mess with manual focus with this lens.

  3. Yes, you don't need it, autofocus is very fast with this lens, and the depth of field is so large that even if the focus is not spot on, the image will probably be in focus. That's also true for most wide angle lenses. You will only need focus gear for macro lenses, especially if you use them with teleconverters or if the lens is above the 100mm range.

    Edited by Rocha
  4. Well,

     

    Assuming you have enough light for the AF to work at all, I tend to agree. However, I frequently shoot in conditions where AF is totally useless because there simply is not enough light and/or contrast. In such cases, I sometimes wish for a focus ring, although I usually shoot the lens in fixed focus. A bit of trial and error in a pool will find you a setting thet is sharp enough from, say, 30cm to infinity.

     

    In the case of the small Hugy done this is 25cm.

     

    timo

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.