Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Removing strobe flash from video

Started by Aussiejosho ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

Removing strobe flash from video

11 posts
  1. Hello All

     

    I shot a nice tiger shark yesterday and the shot was perfect until my buddy fired a photo and her strobe hit the shark and nearby fish to varying degrees - the bluewater is not affected. It only affects 1 frame but ruins the shot. I use Edius for editing, does anyone know the best way to match the colour, brightness and contrast of the shark and fish to those on the neighboring frames so I can mask the effect of the strobe?

     

    I am shooting DVCPRO HD 720 27/25fps.

     

    Any help would be appreciated.

     

    Thanks

    Josh

    Edited by Aussiejosho
  2. Bummer Josh.

    If you make a cut each side of the single frame then use the chrominance filter you should be able to home in on the area you are trying to fix up.

     

    Or you could take a frame grab of the frame and fix it up in Photoshop and put it back in as a single frame over the old frame. Edius can grab full res 19.6 frames easy.

     

    Or send me the frame and each one each side of it and I can have a go for you if you like.

     

    How are you finding EDIUS?

     

    Good luck

  3. uh oh....

     

    Edius alert....

     

    Wags has a new best friend

     

    :P

  4. I use Windows Movie Maker now...it rocks :P

  5. Josh

    If you can't fix the frame, cut it. Then move the sequence speed up by 3-4%. Even if you leave it, the missing frame should be almost imperceptible except to experts. Make sure you count 25 frames FROM THE BEGINNING of the sequence so you can clip it. Conversely you can turn your entire sequence to 24fps.

    Another alternative is to make a duplicate a frame. Search the archives for Craig Jone's technique.

    Edited by Drew
  6. What ever happened to Craig? I remember his posts well from that other forum we used to use in the days before Wetpixel. Really knew his stuff. Did he give up u/w video?

     

    I haven't tried this but I'm thinking after you cut the offending frame out, fill the gap with the first clean frame of the later part of the clip, and above this place the last clean frame of the earler part of the clip with the opacity set to 50%. That way you'd get a very brief "dissolve" if you like, with the overall pace of the clip unaffected. Might be worth a try.

     

    I'm also thinking there may be tools to blend the two clean frames to create a brand new frame. A VirtualDub filter perhaps? Or something like the Wax plugin for Vegas that does morphing?

    Edited by Nick Hope
  7. Nick Hope

    Trying to fill the frame creates more problems than it solves. With Craig's frame duplication, he's basically repeating a frame twice, sort of how a projector shows a reel of film to remove stuttering. That works esp in 29.97 or 60i.

    By merely cutting the film in a sequence at 25fps, the loss of 1 frame is nearly imperceptible to call but measurebators. Many telecine jobs go from 25P to 24fps filmout with that 4% drop in speed. It's not at all noticeable.

  8. Josh,

     

    I think you should just go shoot it again...

     

    :wacko:

  9. I usually clip 1/30th of second in the clip to remove the strobe. B/c you are underwater, audio sync is irrelevant. It is all but imperecptible the loss of 1/30th of a second in a clip. you can also fill it with the prior 1/30 prior frame but i don't bother with this. Unless you are in a "can you find the clip with missing frame" contest judged by super high caliber AV pros, i would have a hard time amagining anyone noticing the mising frame...and more importantly, that missing fram is far less offensive than the alternative of a big strobe flash.

    shawn

  10. Yes Shawn is correct. I tried it in EDIUS and you cannot really notice it.

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.