Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Help for purchasing 1st underwater setup

Started by cwbhhughes ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Help for purchasing 1st underwater setup

4 posts
  1. I have been diving for a year now and want to get involved with underwater photography. After some research on cameras and prices, I think I would like to go with the Olympus sp350 setup. I have been on Cathy Church's website and like everything she has to say about this camera. Do you think this is a good camera for a beginner? Being new with this, what setup do you think I should go with as far as the housing and strobes? What would be the cheapest way to get this setup? Is that a good price at her school (about $2000) or can I get it cheaper doing it on my own? Thanks for any help I can get!

  2. Hi, welcome to the forum!

     

    I used this camera before, and I like it. It is easy to use and gives good results. There are two housings available, Olympus and Ikelite. The Olympus is much more compact, but the Ikelite is more sturdy and allows you to connect Ikelite strobes. As for price, I think a little research is worth the trouble. Try e-mailing or visiting the websites of some of our sponsors in the right (Reef Photo, Underwater Photo-Tech, Backscatter, etc.), they are very responsive and will send you quotes fast...

     

    Luiz

  3. Thanks for your input. I will contact those sites and see what they're prices are. Nice website too, you have some great photos. When I get started I'll have to look you up for some advise and tips. Thanks!

  4. check out Inon America as well. They have mount base for wide angle/macro lens and strobes which could be used on the Olympus 350 housing. http://inonamerica.com/news.php?news_id=48&newscat=0

    Personally I prefer the Inon strobe, which is smaller and more compact to travel with.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.