Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Manatees at Crystal River

Started by bondo ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Manatees at Crystal River

7 posts
  1. I'm going to Crystal River Florida in early February for a couple of days to photograph the manatees and I'm looking for recommendations on how to light the photos. Should I bring flashes, a magic filter or just natural light?

     

    Also what's best in the way of lens selection? I'm shooting a Canon 20d and I've got a 10-22 or the 18-55. I'm trying to take as little gear as possible so I don't have to check bags.

     

    Thank you for any suggestions.

  2. They are slow animals that stay close to the surface, and the water is very clear. I would take the 10-22 and shoot natural light (no filter).

    Edited by Rocha
  3. They are slow animals that stay close to the surface, and the water is very clear. I would take the 10-22 and shoot natural light (no filter).
  4. Hi ,

     

    I went to crystal River last January.

    You can use nateral light in late morning or early afternoon. Early morning there isn't enough light at the 3sisters (best place to look for manatees) so you should use strobes. just look for the right position of your strobes because the manatees set lots of partikels free when they are looking for food on the bottom.

    I used the 10.5mm and the 12-24mm with good results. Manatees are coming very close. If I were you I would use the new 10-17mm Tokina

     

     

    Rob

  5. Hi Bondo,

     

    I would suggest natural light, even at Three Sisters early in the morning with the 10-22mm. You will

    have no trouble getting close enough, your major problem will be keeping the background free of

    snorkelers and other photographers.

     

    Overweight yourself with no fins, pick a subject and wait for the Manatee to rise to breathe, then

    sink down and shoot on motor drive.

     

    Yes, you'll have to find a subject on the outside edge where the light is just beginning to hit the bottom.

     

    All of our best shots were done without strobes!

     

    Best,

     

    Tom & Therisa Stack

     

    http://www.tomstackphoto.com

  6. Thanks to all of you for your tips. I'm really looking forward to the trip and seeing the manatees. :D

    Mike

    Edited by bondo
  7. I went with birdsunderwater last year. We were unable to make it to 3 sisters which is the best place to photograph them. Instead they took us to a local place where there were many manatee but the viz wasn't that great and after about 30 minutes the viz was even worse due to the amount of people. It was a great experience however in the wee hours of the morning it will be tough without a strobe.

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.