Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Help with some IDs

Started by Alex_Mustard ·

  • 14Posts
  • 14Replies

Read-only discussion

Help with some IDs

14 posts
  1. Here are a few IDs I need help with. First up, this squat lobster. My reference (Gosliner et al.) list it as undescribed, but seeing as it is not that rare and that book is now quiet old, I wondered if it had a name yet?

     

    Alex

    post-713-1166805162_thumb.jpg

  2. The next one is a crab. The trouble here is that the crab is hard to see (as it is busy releasing its larvae). I am hoping that someone who knows their crabs can recognise it from the little that there is to go on here.

    post-713-1166805932_thumb.jpg

  3. Is that second crab from Cayman ?

     

    it looks similar to some that I have seen ... maybe a little more orange on it.

  4. Cool crab shots, especially the second one. I know nothing about them :D but I am sure locations would help Leslie...

  5. Sorry forgot locations. Both from Southern Birds Head in West Papua. I have seen other shots of the squatty from the Philippines.

     

    Alex

  6. nothing in my book.... but cool colours on that first guy

  7. I also have a pic of the squat lobster from Wakatobi and never id'd it either.

  8. The Squat lobster is in Coral Reef Animals as Galathea sp.2. It's not in Debelius at all.

    That's all I could find...

    Cheers,

    Marli

  9. Thanks for the effort, folks!

     

    Alex

  10. Sorry, Alex --

     

    Galatheids are a big problem. Not enough people working on them, too many undescribed species. Last time I checked on the one you posted it's either still undescribed or described from a preserved specimen & living color is unknown so we can't match the name to a photo.

     

    As for the crab it's one of the hundreds of little hairy xanthid species from the Indo Pacific. No way will I even try without a good clean shot of the back!

  11. Sorry forgot locations. Both from Southern Birds Head in West Papua. I have seen other shots of the squatty from the Philippines.

     

    Alex

     

    Hehe - we were just there last week (west papua) and shawnh got an awesome macro video of this little squatty guy eating at night. Its a really funny little clip and we were just talking about what it was today...cool!

  12. Being kinda obsessive I decided to check again. If the japanese photographers are right it's Munida olivarae.

  13. Looking at what comes up under google images on that one, Leslie, I think that is the one.

     

    Thank you.

     

    Alex

  14. Those Japanese really are worlds ahead when it comes to critters and ID's. I have the Japanese Fish Atlas and need to get me some more of these other Japanese critter ID books, anyone coming Indonesia soon from Japan?

     

    I know they are all only ever printed in Japanese though all we need is the latin name and we go online and usually find more information!

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.