Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

new to underwater, have camera questions

Started by ryeish ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

new to underwater, have camera questions

6 posts
  1. I have a Canon A80 I've had for several years. It gets a lot of use between my and my 8yo, who loves taking pictures. :D

     

    I just purchased a DC900 waterproof case for it. Should I also buy the weights and a more heavy duty strap?

     

    I'm not a diver, yet, but here are my uses:

    1) Destin, FL for taking pictures underwater, no more than 6' deep. Some pictures split between the air and water, but most will be pictures underwater.

    2) Hatteras, NC for taking pictures out in the surf. No underwater here (not intentionally anyway) as it's too murky inshore.

     

    I am going to start some basic diving lessons this spring at a local shop.

     

    Thanks and I love this site, so many amazing pictures.

  2. I'm sure everyone will jump in and tell you to forget taking pictures while scuba diving, until a good many dives after you get certified, and are really totally comfortable underwater with buoyancy control down pat. So consider it said.

     

    I don't know what the difference in the straps is, but a heavy duty one will be good in surf, I would think. Might be more comfortable too.

     

    The weights probably make an overly buoyant case into neutral or negative. But if you drop it in the surf, with the weights, you might never find it again. It would be good for shooting while snorkeling or later diving.

  3. yes, a nice secure strap would be a good idea for surface work in case you accidentally drop it

  4. yes, a nice secure strap would be a good idea for surface work in case you accidentally drop it

     

    I thought I saw in a post where you had a couple of A70 with the Canon underwater cases...y'all using the straps that came with or something heavier?

  5. I bought the A80 and the Canon housing three years ago before going to Honduras to get my Divemaster certification. Taking decent pics was really easy, and I never had any problems with the camera or the housing. Just be sure your batteries are fully charged before you hit the water, and keep the display off until you need to take a picture. And take care of the o-ring!

     

    The small black strap that came with the housing was all I needed. No need for that big yellow strap.

     

    - Dan

  6. i use the wrist lanyard myself, not the big yellow strap

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.