Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Caribbean Jack/Grunt

Started by Glasseye Snapper ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Caribbean Jack/Grunt

3 posts
  1. Hello All,

     

    I'm going through some old images to hone up my ID skills for the upcoming trip to Bonaire. I could certainly use some help with the following image. It was taken while snorkeling in shallow waters near a shore reef. It initially looked like a mojarra to me but I don't know any with a yellow tail and the other colorations don't make much sense to me either. Using the Reefnet CD fish ID help I now think it is an unusually colored (young?) horse-eye jack. However, all images I have of those have silvery flanks, not the greyish colour with vertical light bands. Can anyone confirm if it is a horse-eye jack or, if not, give me an idea of what it is.

     

    post-5225-1167275849_thumb.jpg

     

    While I'm at it I may as well get confirmation on the following one.

     

    post-5225-1167276147_thumb.jpg

     

    The one on the right is a smallmouth grunt. The beheaded one on the left bottom is a bluestriped grunt but the three in the middle I believe to be Caesar grunt but their lines are much bolder than what is depicted in Humann & Deloach and the Reefnet CDrom images.

     

    Thanks!

     

    Bart

  2. Yep, the jack is a juvenile horseye jack (Caranx latus) and the grunt is a caesar grunt (Haemulon carbonarium); the lines vary with their size, the one on Humann's book is probably larger...

  3. Thanks Luiz, fast and accurate as always!

     

    Bart

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.