Maybe this was covered in photography 101, but I was sick that day
So, I thought I might ask for your input. When deciding on a lens to buy, why not buy the one, zoom lens, that will give you more freedom to shoot a variety of subjects rather than purchasing a fixed focal length lens such as a 105mm or 60mm or 10.5mm where your subjects can be very limited? What's the difference between a dedicated 105mm and my kit lens 18-135 zoomed out to 105mm?
Coming from a P&S and just hitting the macro button, this sounds like the perfect compromise.
At first, my guess is the specific f-value of a dedicated lens will possibly help you shoot in lower light conditions and focus more accurately?
Thanks for your help! BTW, maybe next year with my new rig I'll feel comfortable enough
to add a picture of my own to the "Best Shots of 2007".