Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Exporting HDV clips from FCP (internet ready)

Started by peacedog ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Exporting HDV clips from FCP (internet ready)

5 posts
  1. Anyone have a recipe for exporting short HDV clips out of FCP? Every time I try it keeps converting the sequence to this horrible stretched-out 4:3 mess...

     

    I'm trying to send a client some rough cuts of different sections of a video. All help is appreciated and I can pay you in hugs.

  2. Anyone have a recipe for exporting short HDV clips out of FCP? Every time I try it keeps converting the sequence to this horrible stretched-out 4:3 mess...

     

    I'm trying to send a client some rough cuts of different sections of a video. All help is appreciated and I can pay you in hugs.

     

    What I do in FCE (which may be different than FCP where I think you can use Compressor) is to just change the image size.

     

    I have had the best results with exporting H.264 Quality=High, size=240x426 (~240 * 1.78)

    (you can do this by overriding the default size, and choosing custom).

    Also, for web, if filesize is important, I think 15fps can be used without losing much quality

  3. Anyone have a recipe for exporting short HDV clips out of FCP? Every time I try it keeps converting the sequence to this horrible stretched-out 4:3 mess...

     

    I'm trying to send a client some rough cuts of different sections of a video. All help is appreciated and I can pay you in hugs.

     

     

    Best way is to make a preset in Compressor. A general start is as follows, and can be tweaked as needed

     

    1.) Make new Quicktime Export

    2.) Set video Codec to H.264 (2 Pass Best)

    3.) For the short term do not change the filters in Compressor, adds ALOT of encoding time, leave as automatic)

    4.) In the size section set to 360 x 202 (or similar ratio of width/height)

    5.) Set 16:9 Aspect ratio in the same tab

    6.) Send timeline from FCP to Compressor (highlight sequence-->File--> Export --> Use Compressor)

    Edited by Drewmultimedia
  4. In my experience, exporting to compressor direct from FCP is as much as 10x slower (again my experience). Export as qt movie using current settings. Open in comressor and follow the steps that Drew just provided. Export "current settings" out of FCP takes almost no time b/c it doesn't recompress. So only time is in Compressor. Also, std web settings in Compressor (300kb and 800kb) work pretty well..

    shawn

  5. In my experience, exporting to compressor direct from FCP is as much as 10x slower (again my experience). Export as qt movie using current settings. Open in comressor and follow the steps that Drew just provided. Export "current settings" out of FCP takes almost no time b/c it doesn't recompress. So only time is in Compressor. Also, std web settings in Compressor (300kb and 800kb) work pretty well..

    shawn

     

     

    Very true the way it feeds it frame by frame, a bit better when all rendered prior to export. But for shorter segments not too painful

     

    FWIW exporting from FCP as 8 or 10 bit Uncompressed from FCP when there is an HDV timeline, then using Compressor also helps with speed

     

    Just wish the higher quality filters did not take so long, but who knows what is coming next week. Check out the Apple site, something is coming at MacWorld and it may be the rumored Dual Quad Cores :rolleyes:

    Edited by TheRealDrew
Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.