Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Palau Jelly Fish Lake experts chime in!

Started by NWDiver ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Palau Jelly Fish Lake experts chime in!

7 posts
  1. Ok all you veterans of Jelly Fish Lake I need your opinions. We head out for Palau the end of the month and wondering what lens/lenses to take to Jelly Fish Lake.

     

    I have D200, 10.5, 12-24, 60 and the 17-55. Have Magic filter, strobes, etc….

     

    If you had a chance to go back what would you shoot? What kind of shot do you wish you had tried taking.

  2. Palau is a magic place, I am sure you will have a great time. About the lake, I took my camera with the 16 fisheye and two strobes. The jellyfish are very close to the surface, so you won't need a filter. With your lens line-up I would have a hard time deciding between the 10.5 and the 17-55. Be aware that it is a relatively hard hike to the lake when carrying a housing with two strobes like I did.

     

    That's what I liked about the 16, the coverage is less than the 10.5 (most jellyfish are about 4 inches long), but you can still do over/unders with it, and you can't do them with the 17-55 because of the diopter (everything topside will be out of focus).

     

    Some of my Palau pictures are here:

     

    http://luizrocha.com/gallery10.htm

     

    Luiz

    Edited by Rocha
  3. i always used my Nikonos with 15mm... and never wanted to bring anything else...

     

    i think i would go with the 10.5 if i could only choose one

  4. It is a slippery climb up the hill (and down the other side) hauling a housing and two strobes - but it's worth it! Thank God they have a rope for you to hang onto.

     

    I would go with the 12-24mm - had pretty good luck with it. It'll let you get up close to a single jelly as well as being able to include some of the vast swarms as they pulse through the water.

     

    Rick

    www.bluewatervisions.com

  5. Definitely have some way to put your camera on your shoulder. I could almost not get my Seacam setup over the hill and back and ended up using a shoulder strap attached to the ULCS arms.

     

    I'd go with the widest non-fisheye lens in my arsenal, but a zoom might be good as well because you may want to zoom in to fill the frame.

     

    If you want to do over/unders, bring a live vest and float it in the water. You can chuck your camera on top of it for effortless shooting.

  6. Luckily my carry on is the following and can load everything in setup, I will just need to attach strobe arms at the lake.

     

    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller...egoryNavigation

     

    Luiz, great color on your jelly fish shots, where these using strobes?

     

    I do want to try some over/under and the life vest is a great idea, thanks Eric.

     

    Might take the 10.5 and the 17-55. Such pleasant dilemmas.

    Edited by NWDiver
  7. Good idea about the backpack, I carried my housing by hand and it was not easy! I used two strobes in a low power setting (1/4 maybe) just to fill some light underneath the jellies.

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.