Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

What am I looking at ?

Started by andydives ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

What am I looking at ?

4 posts
  1. There is something on this little goby I've never seen before. Maybe a parasite? Anyone have an idea? I included a tight shot of it as well. Thanks, Andypost-3558-1167711397_thumb.jpg post-3558-1167711511_thumb.jpg

  2. Hi Andy,

     

    It seems to be a parasite, I think Leslie will be able to tell. I will also move the topic to the critter ID area...

     

    Luiz

  3. Yup, that's a parasitic copepod. It's a small crustacea. The body is highly modified so the only traces of it's ancestry are a few articulated appendages. the two curly-q's are strings of eggs. Some parasitic copepods are highly specialized & only co-exist with one host species which means a long history of co-evolution. Some are less os and will attach to a variety of hosts.

  4. Thanks folks. Pretty cool to find out about these things. Much appreciated.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.