I'm looking for any help whatsoever here...for a canon 5d... I've been scouring the internet looking for somewhere to rent a housing/ports/strobe for a trip to key west this week. But have found no where.
If you know of anywhere I could rent one, or if you have a housing I could rent.. or even buy.. I'd love to talk to you. Please help me out as I've been dying to do this. I just don't know the area as far as rental business is concerned. much appreciated.
rSavage
Try Ryan Canon at Reef Photo & Video, link is on the website sponsors on the right.
I second the suggestion for Ryan, and he is Florida too:
thanks for the replies,.. but his prices seem slightly higher than I've found.. also he's in fort lauderdale, which is too north for this trip as I'm landing in miami.. anywhere around there? thanks again.
It's a 45 min drive to Ft. Lauderdale from Miami International, and Ryan would probably ship it to you in Key West if you wanted. I do not think you will do better for all around service.
45 minutes is with traffic. I did the trip in about 30 minutes last July. You also have Stephen Frink down in Key Largo but I'm not sure he rents those.
but his prices seem slightly higher than I've found..
where else did you find prices for in miami?
ryan is very reliable, i would rather pay a little extra to know that the housing i rent will actually work underwater.
yep, Ryan or Stephen Frink in Key Largo
I wasn't aware reef photo rented housings at all.. I looked all over his website.. i'd gladly drive to fort lauderdale to rent one..
He usually has a few units that he uses to rent and let undecided buyers "test-drive". Before driving up there, send him an e-mail (the address is in the website) and ask if he has any 5D that he could rent.
Thank you guys, all of these kind words are flattering!
Our rentals web page is in development, but in the mean time it requires calling a person or sending an email for quotes. We ship rentals all over the country, so delivering to Miami or the Keys is not an issue. Heck, I might drop it off on my way down for a dive
As far as I know, Steve Frink rents his 1d housing. I have 5d, D2x, and D200 available.
A bit far out of the way - unless your travelling downunder but check us out anyway.
we have a full selection prof housings just ready to go
2 x D2X , 2 x D200, 2 x D70 2 x 5D and 2 x 30D all aquatica items most with grand viewfinder available
We have a full selection video housingsalso available :
2 x full phenoms 1 bluefin Z1 a nd bluefin hc1 /a1 and a gates housing with full ports, all video housings are supported by th latest in hid lights from light and motion and greenforce -and othe leading suppliers, natuarally we have a selection of older single chip stuff that is in good order for those whoare finding their way
Thank you guys, all of these kind words are flattering!
Our rentals web page is in development, but in the mean time it requires calling a person or sending an email for quotes. We ship rentals all over the country, so delivering to Miami or the Keys is not an issue. Heck, I might drop it off on my way down for a dive
As far as I know, Steve Frink rents his 1d housing. I have 5d, D2x, and D200 available.
Yes, we do have a couple Seacam 1DsMKII housings for rent. In fact, one is going out today to a pro shooter photographing astronauts in a pool. For the 5D use in South Florida, Ryan would be our go-to guy too.
OK guys -- I'm officially releasing this thread for commercial postings. Go ahead and post, if you were holding back before.
Let's flush out all the people who rent out there.
But please try not to do this too often. I appreciate the mails I got from some of you concerning overly commercial posts.
Thanks Eric!
I'll wade in and say that I too have a 1D series housing available for rent in the UK (although its in Norway as I type), but renting is a two way thing - I have to be certain that anyone wanting to rent it fully understands what they are doing - for their (camera's) sake as well as my own!
I also sometimes provide my own services with the housing on advertising shoots (I'm doing one tomorrow) as some requests are tricky (we intend to use a Pocket Wizard in a waterproof bag (Aquapac) triggered via a 10m cable from underwater on this shoot) and require more than just providing a housing and port. I can set this MkII housing up for either a MkI or MkII camera and hope to be able to connect it up via firewire if this proves at all possible in the future.
If anyone has any odd requests, ask!
Just an update. The use of a 10m cable plugged into an aquapac worked perfectly, triggering a number of Brons spread over two floors and giving enough power to work at F/16 inside the very large tank. Using a housing with just one cable protruding from it proved a slightly strange underwater photographic sensation but the results satisfied everyone so it was worth wiring everything up.
Just an update. The use of a 10m cable plugged into an aquapac worked perfectly, triggering a number of Brons spread over two floors and giving enough power to work at F/16 inside the very large tank. Using a housing with just one cable protruding from it proved a slightly strange underwater photographic sensation but the results satisfied everyone so it was worth wiring everything up.
Paul - Did you take any pix of the pool set up you used to trigger the external strobes? We've just been using small submersible strobes with looooong E-O cord to trigger studio slaves above water in a pool. I'd love to see how you did it.
Thanks.
Steve
Yes, I am interested too. ( Hi Steve)
I assume the Pocket Wizard was out of the water, right?
Ok the system I used was as follows:
I wired up a Nikonos 5 socket into the 'remote' socket position on the Seacam EOS1DSMkII housing and hardwired this in to a PC connector (half of a Nikon SC11 cable) inside the housing which screwed into the Canon's PC flash socket (so that it couldn't come undone). I then used a 10m Nikonos 5 to Nikonos 5 cable (from Seacam) and connected this into a Nikonos socket fitted into an Aquapac mobile phone/VHF radio waterproof polyeurathane bag (the nut required to retain the socket into the Aquapac is from a BMX bicycle 14mm axle which is the correct M14x1.0mm pitch - this is not a common thread. This socket was wired into a female PC flash socket (from my local photo dealer) and a Pocket Wizard was coupled to this via an appropriate lead. If I'd had a spare pocket Wizard lead I'd have hard-wired this in instead. Whilst the Pocket Wizard in this bag should be waterproof, I reckon water resitant is probably more accurate, so it was bungeed onto some railings above the (huge) aquarium tank in which we were shooting. This had the advantage that the Wizard was upright and its antenna was not shielded. Pocket Wizard receivers were then fitted to the Brons and everything worked fine syncing at 1/100s.
I don't have any pix of the set-up but can take some of the housing, cable and Aquapac easily enough and post them. The trickiest bit is ensuring that all connections are good - if I did a lot of this I'd certainly look at using an S6 cable rather than Nikonos as the connections are more secure. I'd also be interested to look at EO connectors but I'm not sure if they provide more resistance and how a Pocket Wizard would operate if they do. I don't think that they will fit direct into a Seacam (wrong thread and they are usually in a brass mount so I'd worry about electrolytic corrosion too) so an adapter might be needed.