P&S for UW with decent shutter lag & RAW / TIFF support?
Started by JDelage ·
6Posts
6Replies
Read-only discussion
P&S for UW with decent shutter lag & RAW / TIFF support?
6 posts
Hi all,
First post here, thanks in advance for the help. This URL was suggested on a DP Review thread I was reading.
I am looking for a good camera + housing recommendation. The camera should be a compact / subcompact format, and be of good quality. Some of the key features I need are:
- Support uncompressed picture format (either TIFF or a RAW)
- Reasonably small shutter lag
- Internal flash.
Any recommendation would be most appreciated. I have a D-SLR, but I don't feel ready to invest into the gear to take it swimming.
Try Peter Rowlands' UWP webmag for the most up-to-date reviews, as these cameras change so quickly. I had a lot of fun with a Nikon Coolpix, but that's a while ago:
I really liked the way that I could switch from near-macro to wide-angle. I miss that with a D-SLR, but in the end the D-SLR has to be the way to go - don't spend too much, because you WILL be housing your big camera later!
Tim
B)
Olympus SP350 would be your best bet. You can find them at Costco for a good price. It does RAW and you can hook up a strobe to it if you wanted. THere should be a new replacement for it soon which would also be a great choice.
Ikelite and Oly both make housings for it
Yes, we are all looking for the holy grail. So far nothing approaches the least expensive dSLR.
I concur with Mike. The SP350 is a good choice of camera to start on and to evolve with as well...