Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

NTSC to PAL Conversion

Started by shawnh ·

  • 16Posts
  • 16Replies

Read-only discussion

NTSC to PAL Conversion

16 posts
  1. Hey folks,

     

    I have been requested to use my shark finning footage for an international campaign that launches in late January. This inclusion is 12th hour so i need to move quickly.

     

    They have requested both NTSC and PAL versions of my HDV files. I shot in HDV1080 60i and will need to convert to HDV1080 50i.

     

    I am on MAC and using Final Cut and Compressor. All solutions will need to be MAC based and hopefully low/no cost (i am making no money on this). A solution that uses FCP or Compressor would be best.

     

    Shawn

  2. Shawn, I'm not sure if you are aware of this but a SONY HDV camera can play back either PAL or NTSC tapes.

    I have played a NTSC tape in both my PAL FX1 and A1 cameras and played my PAL tapes in a FX1 NTSC camera no problems.

    Edited by wagsy
  3. Hey folks,

     

    I have been requested to use my shark finning footage for an international campaign that launches in late January. This inclusion is 12th hour so i need to move quickly.

     

    They have requested both NTSC and PAL versions of my HDV files. I shot in HDV1080 60i and will need to convert to HDV1080 50i.

     

    I am on MAC and using Final Cut and Compressor. All solutions will need to be MAC based and hopefully low/no cost (i am making no money on this). A solution that uses FCP or Compressor would be best.

     

    Shawn

     

    Low cost things worthwhile to try:

     

     

    Also http://www.nattress.com/ has some good filters/plugins - looks like it handles conversions of HDV nowhttp://www.nattress.com/Products/standardsconversion/standardsconversion.htm ($100) and demo and manual here http://www.nattress.com/Products/standards...ersion/demo.htm

     

    Also you can try you can do some conversions via Compressor (better than it was in the past) or even in the Timeline in FCP, may not be perfect but should be usable to some degree

  4. Drew,

    If using FCP, how do i manage the fps of 25 vs 29.97? Are there some documented steps to do this conversion?

     

    Wags,

    I need to send post footage (cc and gamma) outputted to PAL. They will be using a digital files.

     

    shawn

  5. Shawn, send Camdiver a PM, he works on FCP and does dailies in both NTSC and PAL so he must have a way to do it.

  6. Drew,

    If using FCP, how do i manage the fps of 25 vs 29.97? Are there some documented steps to do this conversion?

     

    shawn

     

     

    From FCP --> Export --> Quicktime Movie --> (select 1080/50i)

     

    Another approach is to use easy setup and set up as 1080/50i and place entire movie (cannot place sequence) elements annd export.

     

    Takes some time but may due the trick, though it is not 100% wonderful, but better then it was - the issue is do you have a way to proof it after the fact? A PAL monitor/card hook up.

     

    Why are they using PAL and NTSC HDV? Where are they using it? (By the way you do not have to answer, more of something you may want to think about - maybe they just think they need those formats. For instance perhaps a DVD with MPEG-2 Streams or H.264 etc. as oppossed to really needing 1080/50 files. Also they may have access to conversion equipment maybe a bit easier. )

     

    Perhaps some here in PAL land may have something to suggest also (or be able to look at the final product on on their rigs) I monitor PAL a bit, but my guess someone overseas got alot more covered on that end

  7. Drew,

    thanks for the follow up. i tried the export method but was choppy...but duh...i am on ntsc. Shouldn't my computer play 1080 50i just fine however?

    This is for international tv broadcast and their other footage is in PAL.

    ideas?

    shawn

  8. I am not sitting before my mac, but in the compressor you should have a cross conversion option... Or maybe you should use a "print to video" command in FCP and set your camcorder to pal and re-record your clips to a PAL tape. It is just an idea, I does not know whether it works or not...

  9. I think NTSC to PAL would give better results but here is PAL to NTSC.

     

    45 meg M2t clips each straight out of me PC :D

     

    Pal m2t

     

    NTSC m2t

  10. You could always finish the project and output to tape in its native NTSC form , then simply run it through a standards converter and output to whatever media they have requested it on.

     

    It will a little effort but certainly you will give your client the desired result - and you peace of mind knowing that you have delivered exactly the formats as requested.  

     

    Old fashioned but it will work everytime.

    Edited by pmooney
  11. Drew,

    thanks for the follow up. i tried the export method but was choppy...but duh...i am on ntsc. Shouldn't my computer play 1080 50i just fine however?

    This is for international tv broadcast and their other footage is in PAL.

    ideas?

    shawn

     

     

    Sounds like in all likelihood it was from the conversion - it should play back. It could be an issue with you computer or how you are watching it (drives full etc.) or a setting in the conversion, but probably not I am betting.

     

    I just ran a small test through the http://www.nattress.com filter and alot better results than Final Cut (running 5.1 on a G5 tower) will also try FCP on a MacBook Pro if you like - seems like some things do a bit better job on that machine - meaning Compressor and FCP seem to work better for some things.

     

    Since you are pressed for time (deadlines for being a good guy seems unfair :D ) I would guess the following may be the best options (in addition to the other suggestions)

     

    1.) See if you have local conversion house with decent equipment. If you are doing a small movie it may not be that expensive for you. In the past I have had short movies done for reasonable amounts, under $100 or so. Been awhile. And you may find a shop willing to help the cause of conservation.

     

    2.) If you like I can give it a whirl from my side - probably will not be the same level as the shops who specialize with heavy hardware, but I would be happy to try - just ran some of the Nattress conversions and the A/B was alot better than FCP even though FCP has improved. Obviously what I do is not for money, it is to help the sharks :D

     

    3.) Can try some more tweaking of settings from your end and the various codecs

     

    Not sure what other conversions may come down the road for broadcast from the other end, but they may have enough equipment to work the footage?

     

    Drew

  12. Hey Shawn,

     

    I wrote Graeme Nattress about using his standards conversion plugin for FCP on HDV footage. (I've been using it for DV with great results for years.) He wrote back saying that yes, it would work. To try a demo first to see how it turns out.

     

    The plugin costs $100 USD and is well worth it in my view.

     

    Mary Lynn

  13. You folks rock! Urgent call for help and incrediblly helpful rsponses. I am usually pretty good at the post side but haven't had much need in the PAL conversion side. I will work some of the advice above and update soon.

    Again, HUGE Thanks!

    Shawn

  14. On the PC the alternatives I have for standards conversion are Procoder 2, native in Vegas, or using TMPEG Xpress 4.0. These work OK for PAL>NTSC. Not sure about the other way around.

     

    However the best standards conversion is using a Snell and Willcox Alchemist hardware converter. Is there any chance you could get the customer to approach some users of these machines for a cheapy or freebie as it's for a "good cause"?

  15. Hi Shawn,

    Mike sent me a mail from Yap just a few minutes ago, see how everyone rallies around at a time in need. Here's my 5c, if its worth anything.

     

    Firstly I would prep a normal timeline version in 60i as you would normally. Then export that as a self contained QT file.

     

    Go to www.squared5.com and download the Mediastream for Mac plugin. I know, people have knocked this plug in but I really don't think they were set up properly. This little programme kicks ass mate, plus its FREE!!

     

    Once the QT file has rendered out open up the saved file with Mediastream and make the necessary conversion:

     

    Export to Quicktime

    Select Apple HDV 1080i50 from the codec drop down menu

    Quality to 98%

    Check - Frame Blending

    Check - Better Downscaling

    V.IMPORTANT - Remember to write in Frame Rate as 25 fps

    Set your Audio requirements

    (I normally export Soundtrack to AIFF direct from FCP and only send the video file to MediaStream, they can be re-synched later.)

     

    Hit Make Movie - name it and save. Simple steps should get you outta the brown stuff. I just done a quick check on a short clip of 20 seconds. Lossless and really quite fast render (around 1 minute per 20 seconds of render).

     

    Hope this helps.

    Mark.

     

    P.S Congrats on getting this out there.

    Edited by CamDiver
  16. So how'd you get on mate? Saved or still having trouble?

     

    Mark.

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.