Hey all,
I think I've pin pointed a new trend in the customer service industry. Companies have figured out that it's allot more cost effective to hire someone to prevent you from getting any customer service than it is to actually PROVIDE said service. Simple when you think about it. And it can lead to some really surreal post-modern conversations that are kind of funny if... Well, if there not happing to you. Case in point:
I finally was able to order a housing, ports, strobes, the whole shmear, on December 20th hoping to use it on a trip January 10th. Thus began my ordeal that would be tedious to relate, but not half as tedious as it was to undergo. Let's just say, I won't be taking my shiny new housing and strobes. No, my shiny new housing and strobes will be sitting on the tarmac in Omaha as I zip up my dry suit in Monterey. Why you ask? The conversation this morning went something like this.
B&H: "It shipped today."
ME: "First of all, that's what you've been saying for two weeks. Second, no it didn't. It's Sunday. UPS doesn't pick up on Sunday. It's sitting in your warehouse isn't it?"
A long pause.
B&H: "Um... Yes."
ME: "Great, you can still change the shipping on it so I can get it by Tuesday night, right?"
B&H: "Um... No."
ME: "Why not? Your probably less than a hundred yards from my box right now aren't you?"
B&H: "Yes."
ME: "But you can't change the shipping label on it?"
B&H: "No."
ME: "Why not?"
B&H: "I'm sorry, there's nothing I can do."
ME: "Yes there is. You can print a new label and put it on the box."
B&H: "I'm sorry. It's physically impossible."
ME: "Physically impossible?"
B&H: "Yes."
ME: "You have the box. You have a printer. The intervening space is not filled with zombies or anything is it?"
B&H: "No."
ME: "Killer bees?"
B&H: "No."
ME: "Then I... Why not just... &^%$ it."
B&H: "Thank you for calling B&H."
Click.
Physically impossible? If your going to go to these lengths of mess with me, at least make it entertaining. Tell me that my YS-110's have been sitting in the warehouse so long that they mated and had a litter of YS-27's. Tell me a radioactive chimp is swinging my Ultralite arms around his head wildly, clubbing anyone who gets near him with a clipboard. Come up with something that actually IS physically impossible instead of implying that, due to a combination of laziness and lack of job satisfaction, getting out of your chair to solve a problem that's entirely your fault has become "physically impossible."
Grrrr... If anybody needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome.