Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Magic Filter Macro?

Started by Taxgeek ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Magic Filter Macro?

6 posts
  1. Hi All.

    I know one of the coolest things about the Magic Filter is the effect it has on blue water. ;) I'm planning a trip where I think there will be both blue water and macro opportunities on most dives, and I expect to shoot a whole lot of macro with strobes. Don't need Mr. Magic for that, save for the rare creative spurt.

     

    However, strobes die. :D I'm wondering if the Magic Filter would be a good thing to carry with me for backup use, in case of deceased strobes? Seems like it would work for macro as well as for blue water, easing the burden of the white balance, but I've never seen anybody post Magic shots without blue water in them.

     

    Good idea? Stupid idea?

    This would be for the 5d shooting RAW (good low light performance) or a Canon S1 IS shooting jpg (poor low light performance).

     

    Thanks!

    Susan

  2. Thought about trying it on my last trip. Short in housing caused strobes to not work. Problem is not enough light for macro work. The filters cost you light to begin with. Even doing wide angle, I had to boost the ISO and slow shutter speed just to shoot at F4. Macro would be even worse. The lost DOF would really kill your macro shots.

  3. Ahh, you're right, the light. Impossible to shoot at f22 anymore without strobes, and without f22, I suppose I could get some artistic shots, but they'd be limited.

    Thanks!

     

    (That's exactly what I was worrying about, fried housing electronics.)

    Susan

     

     

    Thought about trying it on my last trip. Short in housing caused strobes to not work. Problem is not enough light for macro work. The filters cost you light to begin with. Even doing wide angle, I had to boost the ISO and slow shutter speed just to shoot at F4. Macro would be even worse. The lost DOF would really kill your macro shots.
  4. For nearly all cameras I would say forget it. But the 5D is a very different beast. I would like to see how it does at ISO 1600 at F8 with the 100mm. Could be excellent for fish portraits.

     

    Alex

  5. I can try it, since I'm going to buy the Magic anyway. I don't like the 5d at anything over 400 though, esp if there are dark areas of the image. I hate having to clean up noise - and have gotten spoiled from shooting at 100 in nice bright conditions alot. But it's definitely worth a shot, especially if the strobes die.

     

     

    For nearly all cameras I would say forget it. But the 5D is a very different beast. I would like to see how it does at ISO 1600 at F8 with the 100mm. Could be excellent for fish portraits.

     

    Alex

  6. I have a 5D and purposefully shot on some dives exlusively at ISO 800 - 1600. They have admitedly been wide angle, but noise is not an issue with this camera, certainly not mine. I've printed some images off at A3 and you need to get close to see grain. In some pictures i've taken in black & white i've actually had to add grain in photoshop! If you want a camera thats suited to low light ambient light photography using alex & peters excellent filters, then the 5D is the beast. It rocks man!

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.