Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Olympus E-10/E-20

Started by eastman ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Olympus E-10/E-20

9 posts
  1. I've got an E-10 (I Love it) but I need a housing. What's the deal? It seems like a popular camera, but there are no housings for it. Anyone have any ideas?.

  2. I agree with you - the e10/20 would be really nice cam's to house.

     

    My only concern would be the AF system, since it uses a dual system - with IR range finding to get close, then contrast detection for fine tuning.

     

    Not at all clear how well it works, with the IR disabled, which it would have to be with a housing and water in the way.

     

    Want to do some experiments and report back?

     

    If this problem can be overcome, there is still the issue of strobe use. Though a non-TTL setup would not be too hard, apparently olympus has re-invented the wheel for the hotshoe signals.

     

    Don

  3. From my past expirence, the E-10 has AF problems in low lighting situations. Like you said, this is going to be a real problem underwater. It's too bad because I really like the camera. I'm sure there are 10 other things that would make this camera suck for underwater photography.

  4. Whoa - hold on.

     

    Every digital camera right now, less than about $5000, is weak on Auto Focus, compared to any $500 film SLR.

     

    With the G2, I'm finding that using a focus light all the time, helps quite a bit.

     

    These are just tools, and as such we need to figure out how to make them work for what we want, not bash them for things they weren't designed to do.

     

    The question I have is - does the E10/E20 have as good, or better AF than the G2?

  5. Check out their website at

     

    www.uwimaging.com/titan

     

    Looks like they have a new fingertip manual strobe controller.

  6. All I have to say is, Thank God for Light & Motion! This housing looks like its gonna be a real winner. There web site doe not mention how much nor when the product will be coming out. And they have addressed the low lighting focusing problem by attaching a focusing preview light. I'm very excited about this product.

  7. Quote from L&M

     

    The Olympus E-20 is a 5 megapixel SLR that includes a 35-140mm lens, 4x optical zoom and high speed auto focus.

     

    Are these the "35mm Equivalent" focal lengths for this camera? If so, it sounds like this setup will be great for macro photography, but what about wide-angle?

     

    Cheers

    James Wiseman

  8. I'd still like to hear how the AF works, when the Infrared system is disabled, or turned off, as it clearly must be with this housing.

  9. Prices for the L&M housing are here:

     

    http://www.uwimaging.com/support/downloads...n_pricelist.pdf

     

    The flash level control does look pretty nifty. Site says the housing will be available in March. Certainly not cheap, but comparable in price to the highest-end 35mm SLR housings . . .

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.