I keep seeing question all over this Forum with the need for replacement o-rings. I thought
I’d give my input here for those who are having trouble finding exact replacements from their
housing manufacture and my comments about them.
First I would always recommend buying your replacements through your housing manufacture. But in those rare cases when they can’t be purchased. You can buy most o-rings right over the counter at a local area store .
I believe that 99% of all o-rings are standard sizes. It wouldn’t make sense for any company making a housing to use anything but what could be bought over the counter. O-rings are manufactured in a wide range of sizes and in many different types of materials for all types of applications. Buna 70 is the most widely used type of o-ring in camera housings and has proven to be cost effective and reliable. When kept clean and lubricated with silicone they will last for years.
You can how ever have problems with o-rings when the are kept under compression for long periods of time. They will lose their effectiveness and will remain compress if they are compressed continuously. In my opinion it’s best to keep your housings ports lose while their being stored for months on end. It’s not that much of a problem with mechanical type controls. They don’t have a great deal of pressure on them when their in a static mode.
Their is a misconception with newbees that if you use a lot of silicone on your seals that it will
seal better, not so. The main purpose of silicone is for protection of your o-rings and lubrication.
The sun’s ultra violet light, saltwater, pool chorine, and other elements will eventually dry out your o-rings and cause them to crack and fail. It also let your controls and ports move easily while under pressure .A light sheen applied is all you need to keep your o-rings protected.
So where can I get my o-rings locally ? Most bearing stores sell seals and that includes o-rings. The can be found under automotive applications or just look up Bearing stores in your local yellow pages. I have found that these stores are most helpful and willing to size your replacement. Just bring in you old o-rings, and or your housing to. They have o-ring measuring charts and or a stretching device that can deter men the exact size. The usually come in a package of 5 or more and are a fraction what you would pay from your dealer.
Marc