Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Ikelite Port Options for Fuji S2

Started by iainh ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Ikelite Port Options for Fuji S2

6 posts
  1. So I've decided to bid a fond farewell to my N90s/Subal setup, and go digital with the Fuji S2. At this point, I've elected to go with the Ikelite housing, and was wondering about port options. I'm currently using the Nikkor 60mm & 20mm lenses, but want to accomodate the Nikkor 12-24 when it's available.

     

    The obvious choice is to use the Ike specified 5505.5 flat port for the 60mm, and the 5503 dome port for the 20mm. The dome port should presumably accomodate the 12-24 lens too.

     

    The Ike web site also lists the 5503.5 dome port as an option for the 60mm lens , so here's where I'm doing a little head scratching.

     

    1. Is a dome port a viable option for the 60mm lens? I seem to recall reading somewhere that a dome is actually better for a lens like this. Seems counterintuitive, so I'm probably remembering wrong.

    2. If the answer to 1. is yes, would the 5503.5 dome be viable for the 20mm lens too, or would the extended length of the port mask the edges of the image.

     

    I don't mind buying a second port if that's the best route, but having a single port that would work well for both lenses would be more convenient.

     

    Cheers,

    Iain

  2. So I've decided to bid a fond farewell to my N90s/Subal setup, and go digital with the Fuji S2. At this point, I've elected to go with the Ikelite housing, and was wondering about port options. I'm currently using the Nikkor 60mm & 20mm lenses, but want to accomodate the Nikkor 12-24 when it's available.

     

    The obvious choice is to use the Ike specified 5505.5 flat port for the 60mm, and the 5503 dome port for the 20mm. The dome port should presumably accomodate the 12-24 lens too.

     

    The Ike web site also lists the 5503.5 dome port as an option for the 60mm lens , so here's where I'm doing a little head scratching.

     

    1. Is a dome port a viable option for the 60mm lens?  I seem to recall reading somewhere that a dome is actually better for a lens like this. Seems counterintuitive, so I'm probably remembering wrong.

    2. If the answer to 1. is yes, would the 5503.5 dome be viable for the 20mm lens too, or would the extended length of the port mask the edges of the image.

     

    I don't mind buying a second port if that's the best route, but having a single port that would work well for both lenses would be more convenient.

     

    Cheers,

    Iain

    Good choice :-)

     

    You will want at least these two ports:

     

    Get the #5503 for any of the Nikkor wide angle lenses (16mm to 35mm)

    Get the #5508.05 for your macro lens - this goes against the lens chart, but it will accomodate BOTH the 60mm and 105mm Nikkor macro lens - with the added bonus that you have the ability to use manual focus on the 105mm. The #5505.5 port will also accomodate both the 60mm and 105m lens, but without the manual focusing on the 105mm - and eventually you will fibnd yourself wanting the 105mm lens anyway.

     

    The zoom lens you are talking about SHOULD work behind the #5503 dome, but you will need to add a +4 diopter for the best results.

     

    BTW, these are the two ports I own and I shoot the 16mm fisheye, 20mm, 60mm & 105mm Nikkor lens using these ports.

     

    M

  3. this goes against the lens chart, but it will accomodate BOTH the 60mm and 105mm Nikkor macro lens

     

    This may be because the lens chart takes into account the full coverage of the lens. With the S2, you're only seeing part of the 60mm's total angle of view due to the "Focal Length Multiplier" (man, I hate that term . . .)

  4. I chose the shortest port that would accomodate the 60. With a minimum focus of 8.75" from the sensor, the longer port wouldn't give you much if any clearance from the subject. Ike's ports are not that expensive. I think I am using the 5505 instead of the 5505.5 and the lens only clears the front of the port by less than 1/4" when fully extended. I will definitely be getting a 105 some day but will get another port for it.

  5. "I think I am using the 5505 instead of the 5505.5 and the lens only clears the front of the port by less than 1/4" when fully extended."

     

    Are you using this port with an S2? I'm asking because the Ikelite port chart lists the 5505 as the one to use for the 60mm on other cameras - they have a different port chart for the S2 which specifies you need the 5505.5 for the 60mm.

     

    This begs the question, why is there a separate port chart for the S2. Presumably because of the physical dimensions of the camera?

     

    Thx

    Iain

  6. When I received my housing, they didn't have the manuals for the S2 printed yet. I was concerned, because as you described, the chart showed the longer port (5505) and they had sent a shorter (5502.41). I had them send to me the 5505 but it was much longer. After a lot of careful measurements, I decided that I liked the 5502.41 port better to give more space btween the port and the subject. It is supposed to accomodate a lens up to 4 1/8" and the 60mm is 3 7/8+ when fully extended.

     

    Sorry, I had my numbers mixed up until I got home.

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.