Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Call for Entries

Started by SDMartdept ·

  • 12Posts
  • 12Replies

Read-only discussion

Call for Entries

12 posts
  1. Attention underwater photographers:

     

    Scuba Diving Magazine is currently accepting submissions for our special “wrecktacular†issue. This issue will feature wreck diving in all parts of the world.

    If you have compelling wreck photos and are interested in submitting them for possible publication, please contact us at the following e-mail address.

     

    SDMartdept@gmail.com

     

    Below is a tentative list of the wrecks we will be covering. Please send discs or links to my attention and be sure that files are clearly identified by destination and wreck name. All submissions need to be recieved by Tuesday January 16th. I look forward to seeing your best wreck photos!

     

    Anna Bliss

    Photo Assistant

    Scuba Diving Magazine

    6600 Abercorn St. Suite 208

    Savannah, GA 31405

     

    WRECKTACULAR - DESTINATION LIST

     

    ARUBA

    Antilla

    Jane Sea

    Pedernales

     

    AUSTRALIA

    Gothenberg

    SS Yongala

     

    BAHAMAS

    Bimini Barge

    Sugar Wreck

    Theo’s Wreck

     

    BARBADOS

    Stavronikita

     

    BAY ISLANDS

    El Aguila

    Jado Trader

    Odyssey

     

    BERMUDA

    Cristobal Colon

    Iristo

    Marie Celeste

    Minnie Breslauer

     

    BONAIRE

    Hilma Hooker

    Windjammer

     

    BRITISH VIRGIN ISLANDS

    Chikuzen

    MV Inganess Bay

    RMS Rhone

     

    CALIFORNIA

    HMCS Yukon

     

    CANADA

    Chaudiere (BC)

    Cape Breton (BC)

    Empress of Ireland (QC)

    Kingston (ON) *** MAYBE

    Tobermory wrecks (ON)

    Vanlene (BC)

     

    CAYMAN ISLANDS

    Balboa

    Cayman Mariner

    Oro Verde

    MV Capt. Keith Tibbetts

    Soto Trader

     

    CURACAO

    Superior Producer

    Tugboat

     

    EUROPE

    RMS Lusitania (Ireland)

    MS Hamburg (Norway) *** MAYBE

    Scapa Flow (Scotland)

     

    FLORIDA

    Duane/Bibb

    Eagle

    Mizpah/PC1170/Amaryllis (Palm Beach)

    Oriskany

    Spiegel Grove

    Spirit of Miami

    Tortuga (Miami) *** MAYBE

    Vandenberg

    Wilkes Barre

     

    GREAT LAKES

    Alger Underwater Preserve (Michigan)

    Car Ferry Milwaukee (Wisconsin)

    Prins Willem V (Wisconsin)

    Thunder Bay Underwater Preserve (Michigan)

     

    GRENADA

    Bianca C

     

    HAWAII

    Corsair

    Mahi

    Sea Tiger

    YO-257

     

    MICRONESIA

    Fujikawa Maru (Truk)

    Nippo Maru (Truk)

    Palau wrecks (Palau)

    Prinz Eugen (Marshall Isl.)

    Shinkoku Maru (Truk)

    Tokai Maru/SMS Cormoran (Guam)

     

    NORTHEASTERN U.S.

    Andrea Doria (REFER TO ARTICLE IN ISSUE)

    Chester A. Poling

    USS San Diego

    Vermont Horse Ferry

     

    NORTH CAROLINA

    Caribsea

    Monitor

    Papoose

    Proteus

    Tarpon

    U-85

    U-352

     

    RED SEA

    Salem Express

    Thistlegorm

    Giannis D

    Chrisoula K

    Carnatic

     

    TURKS & CAICOS

    HMS Endymion (Salt Cay)

    Plane wreck (South Caicos)

  2. How much Scuba Diving will pay for each choosen image ?

  3. That's a rather small list of red sea wrecks there, especially given the great couple of wrecks in Sudan... went down there for a trip last October and had awesome dives on the Blue Bell (or Belt depending on translation apparantly), where cars had fallen from the wreck as it sank, creating a toyota garden around the wreck, and on the Umbria just out of Port Sudan, which was scuttled by the Italians as they entered WW2 (great story behind that wreck, even has a Kiwi Captian involved making me rather proud... so seldom do we figure in such events ;) ). The Umbria is famous for its Fiat Lagunas and unexploded bombs and ammunition (and its pizza ovens!!).

    Edited by gerardh
  4. Are we sure this is a legitimate post? first post and asking for images and not even a scuba diving .com email address??

  5. Good point Patrick, I will try to verify.

  6. Becuase I'm an idiot, I responded to this request completely missing the fact that it was a gmail.com email address (I should have read the whole thread). In any case, I provided a link to my photos of the Tibbetts in the Cayman Islands.

     

    If this is not legit, I'm not sure what someone would gain from a solicitation like this? Any thoughts?

  7. Yes, this is legit. Scuba Diving mailed me to ask where they should solicit images, and I thought it would be a good opportunity for WP members to get involved in print media.

     

    HOWEVER, let me verify that the gmail address is an official one. It seems strange to use gmail without having it bounce through their official domain, first.

  8. I've verified that this is indeed a legitimate post. So submit away!

  9. It seems strange to use gmail without having it bounce through their official domain, first.

    A better spam-blocker, perhaps? And disposable...

  10. Am I right to assume I should submit web quality images or images with a copyrite plastered across first and wait for them to ask me for full quality images. Or do people generally send full quality pics up front? I have never submitted images to a magazine before. I appreciate any input. Cheers,

     

    Chris

  11. Chris

     

    I would suggest low rez versions without the copyright splashed across, they will want to see the whole image. But put your name and email details in the File Info that is attached to the image. That way they will know who's it is.

     

    I would also add your last name to the file name as well.

  12. Our Art Department used a free Gmail account to handle the HUGE amount of data that would be clogging their inbox when asking for photos. And we've gotten some great entries! I'll be writing the Wreck article for the April issue, and hopefully it will be accompanied by some of your photos. Thanks all!

     

    Nick

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.