Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

some news on airline/luggage from

Started by 3@5 ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

some news on airline/luggage from

4 posts
  1. BA are chanigng their checked luggage policy on 13FEB to try and simplify things and probably provide more consistency across their network.

    Here's the gist of:

    FIRST and Club World

    Customers will be able to check three bags into the aircraft hold free of charge.

     

    Club Europe and World Traveller Plus

    Customers will be able to check two bags into the aircraft hold free of charge.

     

    World Traveller*, Euro Traveller, BA Connect & UK Domestic

    Customers will be able to check one bag into the aircraft hold free of charge.

     

    Key changes for Longhaul customer

    FIRST..............Club World................World Traveller Plus........World Traveller*

    3 bags.............3 bags.......................2 bags...........................1 bag

    (23kg each per bag maximum

     

    *World Traveller customers travelling / connecting to or from the US, Canada, Caribbean, Nigeria, Brazil and Mexico will continue to be allowed two checked bags in line with the local government regulations.

     

     

    Key changes for Shorthaul customers*

    Club Europe Euro Traveller Domestic

    2 bags (23kg each) 1 bag (23kg) 1 bag (23kg)

     

     

    Customers will be able to carry one piece of sporting equipment free of charge in addition to their checked baggage allowance. See list of accepted sporting equipment.

    A maximum bag weight of 23kg (50lbs) will apply to all bags.

     

    and guess what's in that sporting equipment list? YES DIVING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!

     

    Diving equipment kit

    Diving equipment kit comprises of facemask, pair of fins, pressure gauge, regulator, safety vest, snorkel, tanks and weights belt, snorkel,

    NB Sporting goods weighing over 23kg will require pre-notification. E.g. diving equipment up to a maximum weight of 45kgs and the cylinder must be empty to ensure safe handling

     

    and now for the bad news, excess luggage charges - this is becoming a business:

    Excess baggage charged at a fixed fee

    Longhaul

    £120 per bag or £96 per bag if paid online

    Shorthaul

    £60 per bag or £48 per bag if paid online

    UK Domestic

    30 per bag or £24 per bag if paid online

    Maximum size and weight

     

    We will not accept any item of baggage that weighs more than 23kg (50lbs) or oversized items exceeding 2.5m x 1.00m x 0.80m (98in x 39in x 31in).

     

    For exceptional items that weigh between 23kg - 45kg (50 - 99lbs) and which cannot be repacked e.g. musical instruments, electrical wheelchairs, some sporting items, TV news cameras, commercial spares, please notify us at time of booking or at a minimum of 24 hours before departure.

     

    all the info can be found here:

    http://www.britishairways.com/travel/ba6.j...cy/public/fr_fr

     

    I read something on the inflight magazine about hand luggage but can't find on the website. being in heathrow right now, i'll check when i board my flight and update later.....

     

     

    hth /paul

    Edited by 3@5
  2. BA are chanigng their checked luggage policy on 13FEB to try and simplify things and probably provide more consistency across their network.

    Here's the gist of:

    and guess what's in that sporting equipment list? YES DIVING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!

    and now for the bad news, excess luggage charges - this is becoming a business:

    all the info can be found here:

    http://www.britishairways.com/travel/ba6.j...cy/public/fr_fr

     

    I read something on the inflight magazine about hand luggage but can't find on the website. being in heathrow right now, i'll check when i board my flight and update later.....

    hth /paul

     

    That is real interesting, would be nice if the U.S. Carriers follow suit - I have it down almost to an art to get the 50 lbs limit in two bags, but when diving is done sometimes a bit over, by like a pound or two.

  3. That is real interesting, would be nice if the U.S. Carriers follow suit - I have it down almost to an art to get the 50 lbs limit in two bags, but when diving is done sometimes a bit over, by like a pound or two.

     

    I find it quite annoying unless all airlines follow. My wife and I usually travel with 4 suitcases, all above 50 pounds. This is 90% divegear + photogear. I never have problems with this, and I rarely have to pay.

     

    We do fly BA usually from europe to the US, which now means we have to make sure all our luggage weighs less than 50 pounds (you cant even opt to pay, it HAS to be less than 50 pounds). This means an extra bag. But then if I want to fly on with say American to a caribbean destination, I suddenly get into problems for having 5 or even 6 bags.

     

    I like what BA did, but not if it means you have to pay airlines that only accept 4 bags..

     

    Cor

  4. HI ALL,

    just a note I have just been away to the Canaries, I did not have much of a

    problem with the hold luggage, I was given 10kgs extra for diving equipment

    plus showing diving certs & being very courteos. Hand luggage was slightly

    different I take my housing,strobes,ports, etc in one lowepro computi backpack

    & my camera, lenses, view finder, etc in a smallish tamrac case. But I was told

    I could only take ONE piece of hand luggage through the departure lounge, so I

    had to move the camera in to the one bag, but then it was over weight so this is when

    my non diving BETTER HALF came to the rescue her very large hand bag had a very

    useful empty space. But I will have to look at a slightly different way to pack my

    camera from now on.

     

    Andy

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.