Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

NAS Browsing

Started by Marcelo Krause ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

NAS Browsing

4 posts
  1. Dear friends at wetpixel,

     

    I have recently purchased a ReadyNAS NV and moved all my images to the network storage. It seems to be a great product and I easily connected to my network using a gigabyte hub.

    The problem is that Nikon View, the software that I use for browsing the images started to have some issues.

    -when I double click an image for a closer look it takes a long time to load the image.

    - and the worst: it basically freezes for a few minutes after I edit and save an image at the NAS device. It seems to be reading all the images again and again.

    The solution for this is that know I open about 6 images in Capture, edit and save then all and need to wait for 5 minutes to Nikon View to be operational again.

     

    I have a fast Pentium 4 and 2 GB of RAM.

     

    Has anyone experience similar problems? Is it a cache related issue?

     

    Does anyone have recommendations for software to browse the NAS device??

     

    Thanks,

     

    Marcelo Krause.

  2. Marcelo -

     

    Try BreezeBrowser, my favorite RAW image browser of all time. It only browses thumbnails, but often, that is enough.

     

    I also tend to copy working directories to my local machine and then sync them back to the NAS box after I'm done. To sync back and forth, try to keep parallel directory structures on all your machines, and use BeyondCompare2 to do the compare/sync/mirror. It kicks the crap out of any sync software available for the Mac (i'm always looking, and looking, and looking, and failing to find anything as good).

     

    BB: http://breezesys.com/

    BC2: http://www.scootersoftware.com/

    Edited by echeng
  3. Mike and Eric, thank you for the inputs…

     

    Hi Mike,

     

    Thanks for pointing the thread. I’ve read that before posting but was looking for advice on a good browser that performed well for a NAS.

     

    Hi Eric,

     

    “I also tend to copy working directories to my local machine and then sync them back to the NAS box after I'm doneâ€

     

    That is something that I do before transferring the images to the NAS. It really helps a lot. But many times I have requests for old pictures…and I have to search it on the NAS.

     

    I stayed up until late last night and tried different products

     

    Photo Mechanic – seems to be very fast. But it sometimes freezes while browsing the NAS. And for some unknown reason it fails to load the entire RAW image preview on some of my images. Instead it loads a medium size image.

     

    ACDSEE- very nice too. It seems to take a long time to load the thumbnails for the first time. But once it is done, it stores the thumbs in a cache and when you go back to the folder the thumbs load very fast. It doesn’t auto rotate the vertical D2x images files.

    The thumbs seems to be oversaturated and over contrasted, with different colors. I tried to turn the color management on/off didn’t help a lot.

     

    Will try breezebrowser later…

     

    One more thing: the D2x have the ability to record a 60s voice message attached to the image. While for UW pictures it is irrelevant, I found this function to be very useful when I do topside travel photography. If you have a tight time frame and visit many places during the day, sometimes it is difficult to remember names and stories of what you have seem by the end of the day. To my knowledge Nikon View is the only software capable of linking the audio file to the image. When I ingest and rename files with Nikon view it ingests and rename the audio file too. You can also play the sound linked to the image while browsing the directories.

    Does any other browser recognizes the Nikon audio file??

     

    Thanks again

     

    Marcelo.

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.