Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Traveling with Gear

Started by danclem ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Traveling with Gear

7 posts
  1. Greetings:

     

    I am new to digital underwater photography and am trying to figure out how to best pack up my rig for overseas trips. I have a Nikon D70s, a Subal housing, dome and flat ports, two Ikelite DS-125 strobes with spare batteries, plus lenses, arms, etc.

     

    If I load everything into a Pelican case I am over 50 lbs, and this is over what Homeland Security will allow on planes, I believe. As a temporary measure I am using a cold chest with foam cut outs. This works well for local dives around Seattle, but I am not sure about next June when we are off to the Galapagos. Plus there are the weight limitations on foreign domestic flights.

     

    Any words of wisdom from those who have already solved this problem would be greatly appreciated.

     

    Thank You!

    Edited by danclem
  2. Greetings:

     

    I am new to digital underwater photography and am trying to figure out how to best pack up my rig for overseas trips. I have a Nikon D70s, a Subal housing, dome and flat ports, two Ikelite DS-125 strobes with spare batteries, plus lenses, arms, etc.

     

    If I load everything into a Pelican case I am over 50 lbs, and this is over what Homeland Security will allow on planes, I believe. As a temporary measure I am using a cold chest with foam cut outs. This works well for local dives around Seattle, but I am not sure about next June when we are off to the Galapagos. Plus there are the weight limitations on foreign domestic flights.

     

    Any words of wisdom from those who have already solved this problem would be greatly appreciated.

     

    Thank You!

     

     

    I put my housing, two Ike 125 strobes, cords, flat port, arms and lenses into a carryon Porter case. I have not needed to check it (except for one time in Philippines). It weighs full about 38 or so lbs which is within the US carriers carryon limit of 40 lbs. Works fantastic, and is hard sided. It turns into a trolley so you can haul and navigate through the airport with all of your luggage. It also can fit inside of a duffle style bag so you can camoflage it somewhat. Works for me. :)

  3. I put my housing, two Ike 125 strobes, cords, flat port, arms and lenses into a carryon Porter case. I have not needed to check it (except for one time in Philippines). It weighs full about 38 or so lbs which is within the US carriers carryon limit of 40 lbs. Works fantastic, and is hard sided. It turns into a trolley so you can haul and navigate through the airport with all of your luggage. It also can fit inside of a duffle style bag so you can camoflage it somewhat. Works for me. :)

     

     

    Hi Docrobina:

     

    Sounds good. Do you travel with a dome port? That is the space killer with my rig. Also, is there room for your regulator/dive computer in the Porter case? I am assuming that it is the PCII size for photographers.

     

    Thanks for your help.

  4. Hi Docrobina:

     

    Sounds good. Do you travel with a dome port? That is the space killer with my rig. Also, is there room for your regulator/dive computer in the Porter case? I am assuming that it is the PCII size for photographers.

     

    Thanks for your help.

     

     

    Nope, you are right, the dome port IS a space killer. It goes into my dive bag inside a plastic box, but all of the other camera stuff is in the Porter case, so I am ready to go in case the luggage, gasp, doesn't make it in on time. Dive computer goes into the carryon or Porter case. I am not sure the model, but it is 14" X 22" X 9" outer dimensions. Fits into nearly all overhead bins (except for the barbie jets), and has a built in combination lock (like a briefcase lock). I got the one with dividers, and the bottom and top are foam. It surely is nice to use as a trolley at the airport, in hotel, when porters/bellboys are scarce. I usually put my lenses into it and have stored my camera inside the housing when I am short on space.

     

    All dive gear (except) mask as it is prescription, and computer go into the cargo ... in a non-descript wheeled duffle bag with no diving markings on it at all.

     

    Good luck in choosing your rig's case. I know lots of folks use a special backpack, but I am not into lugging around a 40lb backpack + all the other stuff around the airport.

     

    Robin

  5. Hi Robin:

     

    Thanks for the info. I see there is a neoprene cover for the Subal dome housing, so I think I will follow your lead and place it in the checked on baggage. Kudos for the prescription mask: it's the only way I can read settings on the Nikon.

     

    Cheers,

     

    Dan

  6. danclem,

    Just letting you know that there's another Dan Clem new to wetpixel.

    Weird.

    - danielandrewclem

  7. Hi:

     

    I think we are one in the same. I have a post relating to Subal housing and Ikelite flashes in TTL mode.

     

    Thanks,

     

    Dan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.