I'm not one to post much, but I think this deserves some discussion on Wetpixel – Heck, we’re talking tuna here.
Recently, our new House & Senate passed the new Federal Minimum Wage. The new hourly rate of any American worker is $7.25.
Did you know that American Samoa is not included in the new bill? Do you know why? I'll tell you: StarKist Tuna. Here's an article in the Washington Post:
Apparently, StarKist tuna has a lot of employees in American Samoa (over 75% of the entire islands work force). StarKist corporate office is in San Francisco - exactly where Mrs. Pelosi represents. Sound fishy???
Regardless of you political opinion on the Speaker or the Minimum Wage; what is a diver to do? Should one protest the fact that StarKist Tuna gets to pay less to the average tuna worker which leads to decimating our oceans a lot cheaper than other companies - OR - should we argue the point of some Americans getting jerked on the new wage – OR – should we be upset that Mrs. Speaker is caving in to Corporate interests just as she claims her party is against?