Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Sucking in DV/HDV

Started by wagsy ·

  • 18Posts
  • 18Replies

Read-only discussion

Sucking in DV/HDV

18 posts
  1. Working on a new project and had to suck in a heap of archive.

     

    Sucking in DV to your computer is time consuming but with EDIUS 4 you can suck in from multi camera's at the same time.

     

    We have both our FX1 and A1 going into the same computer right now to the same drive with audio. :)

  2. blah blah blah

     

    :)

    Edited by MikeVeitch
  3. At first I had a big laugh, offcause it's funny, "everybody" knows that Wags loves his Edius, and that he uses every opportunity to praise it, and that's fair enough.

     

    Edius :) Wags

     

    But then I thought about what a new user on this forum would think, if this was the first post that he read.......

     

    Might take a while, before he dares posting anything :)

  4. Mike only responded so fast because he thought it was porn :)

  5. Mike only responded so fast because he thought it was porn :)

     

     

    Hahaha,

     

    I have Edius 4 running on a new PC also for a month now!

    and i understand why Wags is so crazy about it!

    This is the only great way to edit HD !

     

    O man i love this programm!

  6. But then I thought about what a new user on this forum would think, if this was the first post that he read.......

     

    Might take a while, before he dares posting anything :)

     

     

    Interesting perspective, didn't think of that..

     

    But hopefully generous use of smilies helps in that regard.

     

    :)

  7. I nearly broke my fingers getting into this thread.. :)

     

    I thought..Well he's managed to get Kelly to marry him..Who knows what he's capable of trying next. :)

     

     

    I am really at a cross roads now.

     

    P.C / Edius vs Mac / FCP...

     

    Its another dilemma

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  8. Har Har...you guys make me laugh... :)

    Brumpy..good to hear you are giving it ago.

    I was mixing DV 4.3 & 16.9 with HDV today easy as in real time.....stretching the 4.3 out and about to make it fit in.

     

    Well the bottom line is the dam program just works well with DV and HDV thats all and anyone looking into edting HDV on a PC should give it ago. It's slick, quick and powerfull. Thats why I post as lots of people just come here to read.

     

    There it was sucking in DV from 2 camera's at the same time. Stop one and change the tape while the other one keeps going. Once I get a 3rd firewire cable I will be able to have 3 going at the same time. :)

     

    We are now planning on building a super Core2Duo or Quad computer and to load up our complete archive on drives for easy access for furture projects. I see there is 1000 GIG drives starting to come out now.

     

    Here is CC in real time with HDV. It's very good for a 8 bit NLE.

    7.jpg

     

    8.jpg

  9. cool looking nudi!

  10. Wags, I'm going to have to get you to edit my stuff with that hoss setup you are building...and multicam ripping...cool! HOw many streams of HDV can it capture at once?

  11. Shawn

    I should make it clear that the little DV capture program tha comes with Edius only captures DV material with max of 3 cameras. Still cool though as we have lots of DV tapes to capture. :)

     

    HDV is abit different as it has to be converted to the Canopus HQ codec on the fly.

     

    Will make a new post about what bits we are looking at to build the Core2Duo.

  12. Hi Wags,

     

    You recommended Edius but I ended up going for Adobe.

     

    I upgraded from our Adobe Video Collection to the Adobe Prodcution Studio Premium. The main reasons behind that:

     

    1. we have invested a big chunk of money in Adobe licenses and total training dvd's

    2. the integration between the products is excellent.

    3. I didn't like the Edius interface

    4. I ran into minor "color banding" problems with Edius

     

    I'm working on a Dual Core E6600 with 4 GB or RAM and three disks (1 for system and 2 in Raid 0 for the source files and rendering).

     

    So far I found that working with HDV native in PPro works like a charm. No problems. But HDV in After Effects. Forget it. It is far to slow. Even Adobe recommends not to use mpeg footage in AE. So I have to convert all my HDV clips for AE to a lossless format. Currently I use uncompresses AVI. Talk about big files.

     

    I'm considering adding a Matrox RTX2.0 card to my system, but I want to get some real feedback first before I spent another 1700$ on (non-diving :P ) hardware.

     

    Happy about my choice? Don't know yet. The lack of decent support for native HDV in AE certainly made me worry.

     

    Take care,

     

    Peter

  13. All of you just get a Mac and FCP. That's all you need.;-) Excellent color correction on the nudi. CC is not my strong suit.

    steve B)

    Edited by steve
  14. Peter

    Sounds like a nice setup there...although not sure about worse CC banding in EDIUS...

    We did lots of tests on both and thats not what we came up with?

    Did you render out any M2T files from a 1440/1080 timeline?

    EDIUS an AE 7 work together, there is a plugin for AE.

    Anyhow each to their own.

     

    Matrox make great stuff. I still remember my old RT 2000.

     

    Steve, yes we could buy a $$$$MAC but we like tinkering :P

    CCing that Nudi like that took mere seconds and it played back in realtime.

     

    Back to the multi capture thingy, I'll see if there is one that can capture raw multiple m2t streams like this one does with DV. Then have the m2t going to a watch folder and have Procoder Express converting the m2t to the Canopus HQ codec automatically.

  15. Hi Wags,

     

    I did some tests with DV footage, not HDV footage. I think I tested with HDV footage scaled down to DV.

     

    Edius and EA, that is interesting. You never know. I might be lured into the Edius camp after all.

     

    Steve,

     

    a Mac? My religion does not allow me to use Macs. :P

     

    In real life I'm a consultant specialised in mainly Mickeysoft products.

  16. I have been hearing that the BBC Natural history unit are giving their producers Mac Laptops with FCP for 'Infield' editing...

     

    Replacing Avid with FCP... Got to be something in this... :P

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  17. I have been hearing that the BBC Natural history unit are giving their producers Mac Laptops with FCP for 'Infield' editing...

     

    Replacing Avid with FCP... Got to be something in this... :P

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

     

    HISTORY, says it all. :P:wub:

  18. I think Mac's a great way to go if you're willing to pretty much dedicate your machine to video editing. But if like me you use the same computer for everything from video editing to web authoring to p2p downloading then the PC offers much more choice and possibilities, especially in free little apps and utilities to get things done.

     

    Dean, don't forget to road-test Vegas alongside Edius. It does a nice job at a lower price.

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.