Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Flash for Canon Digital Rebel XTi

Started by Bill L. Seifert ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Flash for Canon Digital Rebel XTi

6 posts
  1. I am going to a local Scuba shop, today, to see about getting the new Sea&Sea DX400D housing for my Canon Digital Rebel.

     

    Years ago I had a Nikonos IV with an IkeliteSubstrobe MV with TTL. Like an idiot, I flooded the Nikonos, and totally ruined it. For the last several years, I have been using a first generation Sea&Sea 35 mm camera, with a Helix Sub Strobe.

     

    I was wondering, when I get the case for my Canon Rebel XTi, is there any way to hook up the Ikelite MV.

     

     

    If there is not, does anyone have a suggestion on where to sell the strobe?

     

     

    Bill Seifert

  2. Hi Bill, you will need a Nikonos to Ikelite cord, and these are easy to find, but make sure it is the new Ikelite cord for digital cameras. The strobe will work in manual only. If you decide to sell your strobe to upgrade you can list it at our classifieds section.

     

    Luiz

    Edited by Rocha
  3. Hi Bill, you will need a Nikonos to Ikelite cord, and these are easy to find, but make sure it is the new Ikelite cord for digital cameras. The strobe will work in manual only. If you decide to sell your strobe to upgrade you can list it at our classifieds section.

     

    Luiz

     

     

    Thanks, Luiz,

     

    The guy at my local dive shop didn't know anything about it. He said it was only worth throwing away. With the kind of pictures I take, I am sure manual will work fine.

     

    Bill

  4. Bill,

     

    The Ikelite MV is only a 35W power strobe. Very old, slower recycle time, etc.

     

    If you are going to the expense of housing your Rebel XTi, even a small new series Ikelite DS51 would be a great upgrade. With an Ikelite housing and their TTL capable cord, you'd even have real Canon eTTL2 through the housing circuitry.

     

    Seems like kind of a waste to house a current technology camera like the Canon Rebel XTi and not use eTTL2......Or God forbid shoot manual flash :P

     

    YMMV

     

    dhaas

  5. Bill,

    Well I am glad to hear all of your posts. I have the xti also and am wanting to take underwater photos while diving and possibly as a job for aquatic life etc. What have you found and what prices should I expect to waterproof my camera. I am absolutely new to this but would like to get into diving and taking pics of other divers as well as fish. But more so I would love to do surf photography as I am a surfer and have many surfer friends. I have looked at a bag that would be good to about 70ft it said but cant find that anymore. Also it was in the 200.00 range. Do you have any help you can give me? I would greatly appreciate it. Especially prices and places to buy. I am going to post a new topic asking others as well. Thanks,

    Daniel

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.