i found two beautiful creatures last month in south sulawesi - indonesia and can`t find them in my identification books.
the nudibranch seems to be a bornella species , 12-15mm big/small (tiny), but what kind of crab is this horny guy, a mutated zebra crab?
it was hiding in a crinoid and about 15 mm big.
any ideas?
winter greetings from old germany
Beo
Neat nudi! Those orange-tipped rhinophores are very distinctive but I couldn't find a match. It does look more like Pseudobornellia to me rather than Bornellia. I hope Marli will read this soon. She's the nudi queen around here.
The crab is Tiaramedon spinosum. I don't think it's rare, just hard to see. The color seems to vary between solid brown and this striped form.
Sorry to keep you waiting...
This is thought to be a Dendronotus species, but it has not been described. It's been found in Sulawesi and Bali.
Thanks, Marli. The cerata are certainly very different from those of NEP species, aren't they? I was glad to see one of the posters on the Sea Slug Forum also thought it was a Bornella!