Wonder if any wetpixel members with contacts in the industry have heard anything more on the "optional viewfinder" S&S mentions on their newer housing?
- 12Posts
- 12Replies
Read-only discussion
Sea & Sea Viewfinder
-
-
Just to clarify the point, this is the 0.8x screw in pickup finder element (46104) originally announced for the DX-D80 back in August. It should fit the DX-5D (not a good idea), the DX-400D and the maybe the DX-D200.
This won't be a drop in replacement for the one-piece viewfinder in the DX-350D. I'm guessing that might not be what you wanted to hear.
Martyn
EDIT: just to confirm, the following housings take screw in pickup finders:
DX-5D
DX-400D
DX-D80
DX-D200
These do not:
DX-350D
DX-D50
-
Thanks for the clarification...
-
As far as a decent viewfinder magnifier goes most of the leading housing manufactures are offering something now.
Subal, Seacam, Hugyhot, Inon, Nexus, UK Germany, Sealux have something current or soon. I'm not sure about Ikelite though.
This seems to leave Sea & Sea without anything - surely they must catch up now and follow the trend?
-
Indeed they really should sort this out. I believe they have been exploring the options, but Sea&Sea are perhaps not the fastest to respond to market needs. Hopefully having taken a lead in TTL strobe, they'll want to strengthen their offerings on the viewfinder front also.
Martyn
-
I am going to send Sea&Sea Japan an email and ask them about the 45º viewfinder. I will share their answer once I get it.
Still waiting for my S&S housing

-
I also send an email to Sea&Sea and asked them about an 45° viewfinder. I got no answer. :-(
Perhaps if many people write them they will think about this.
What do you think about the new optional viewfinder 0.8x? Is it profitable for macro?
Jens
-
I also send an email to Sea&Sea and asked them about an 45° viewfinder. I got no answer. :-(
Perhaps if many people write them they will think about this.
What do you think about the new optional viewfinder 0.8x? Is it profitable for macro?
Jens
I am actually trying to find S&S Japan's email in their website and it appears it is not there anymore. Do you have their email address for me Jens?
Regards,
Nuno
-
Previously I've never had a reply to an email to Sea & Sea in Japan. Even so - I would encourage anyone to try and contact them to address their lack of a viewfinder magnifier option.
The 0.8X eyepiece version over the 0.66X version is something of nothing in my opinion. I think I would stick with the standard version so you can at least see more of the corners of the view.
It's been interesting to see recent posts of the Inon/hugyphot viewfinder as well as new versions fron UK Germany and Sealux. I wonder what they are like though? It is difficult to ever see these products and the best feedback still comes from people on this forum
-
I asked Ikelite about a 45° viewfinder, and had responce
they where serieus working on it........
this was tree weeks ago, hope the have soon a good alternative.....
I saw on Boot 2007 the sealux, the uk and the Bs Kinetics viewfinders also Hugyfot, there is a big difference between all of those viewfinders.
try them out before buying
-
Do you have their email address for me Jens?
You have PM

Jens
-
I'm an oldtime diver just converted in January from u/w film to digital SLR (Nikon D60 in Sea & Sea RDX housing,) this is concerning using Nikkor 10-24 mm lens and dome port - I'd like an easier way to view scene than the built-in viewfinder - looking at the Sea & Sea site, see 3 optical viewfinders (.8x, .66x, .5x) - don't know if any would be helpful and if so, which? I have pretty good vision otherwise. I am accustomed to the Nikonas 15mm viewfinder, so any comparisons to this would be really informative to me. I'm not even sure any of these would mount to a RDX housing - anybody know?