Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Alan James Photography ?

Started by Nicholas S. ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

Alan James Photography ?

11 posts
  1. Does anybody know Alan James or has anybody ever bought anything from Alan James?

    I want to order some things and I'd like your opinion !

    Is he trustfull ? Has anybody in the past had any problems with his order ?

     

    Thanks for the help ! :P

  2. Alan James and Heather Hammond have been good to deal with in my experience. Most of my current gear I bought through them. They're both established underwater photographers themselves and understand the issues we deal with.

     

    If you ring them up you will usually get Heather answering the phone. Tell her I said "hi" (Martyn Brearley). If she tries to talk you out of getting the TTL Converter, twist her arm :P. Sea&Sea UK seem to be reluctant to import them for some reason, but I doubt there is any real problem with getting hold of them. They have been CE marked now, so that's no excuse.

     

    Sea&Sea products can take a while to arrive in the UK if they have to be ordered from Japan, so ask Heather what the lead times are.

     

    Other than that, don't worry, they're some of "the good guys".

     

    Martyn

  3. I'll second all of the above, but I'm waiting to hear some good things about the TTL converter.

  4. I'll thrid a recommendation for Alan James

     

    I went to see him after a recommendation from a friend and found his knowledge to be very usefull and I ended up with I believe the last brand new from factory housing for my D60.

     

    If you don't have anyone in Greece or mainland Europe I would definately use him. However I always like to recommend buying from someone who is close as well.

  5. Alan James, all round good egg, listen to what he advises you won't go far wrong, member of BSoUP, has won many competitions, etc. I've bought quite a bit off him in the past , no worries there.

    Edited by PeterCatchpole
  6. HI ALL,

    I will also agree with all of the above points, Alan is a very good & experianced

    photographer, he also has a wealth of knowledge, I think he is the main Sea&Sea

    importer. When I first started underwater photography he was the first expert in

    this field, who helped me get my equipment.

    Andy :P:wub:

  7. I agree with all of the above. Both Heather & Alan are great to deal with.

  8. Hi,

    Just wanted to add my recommendation for Alan. I recently bought an entire DSLR setup from him and he was great. An experienced photographer and easy to deal with. As it was my first DSLR rig he spent several hours helping me get it all set up correctly and at no point was I given a hard sell........I'd easily recommend him above certain other UK dealers I could name!!

  9. Yet another recommendation for AJ Photography!!!

     

    Both Alan & Heather have been instrumental in my u/water photography; from equipment advice & subsequent supply, though help and assistance with my images and on to joining them on several of their photography trips.

     

    Throughout my dealings with them I have fould their counsel to be always with my best interests at heart & I would not think of buying elsewhere.

     

    I think he is the main Sea&Sea importer. Andy

    Andy, AJ is the sole authorised UK agent for Sea and Sea digital SLR underwater housings.

     

    Ralph

  10. Not that another recomendation is needed but I will add mine anyway. Have used Alan and Heather for years and have spent hours discussing options. Excellent service from people who really know their stuff.

     

    Alan is not afraid to get out the hacksaw if something doesn't quite fit (zoom gear for 12-24 does fit 70-180 with a bit of pursasion).

     

    Only problem is I will have to stop dropping-in for a chat - I just can't afford it :D

  11. Just make sure your creadit card is nowhere near you when you have a chat with Alan & Heather ! They are very good salespeople as well as being very talented photographers !

     

    I've bought lots of gear from them and have always found them very helpful. I once had a problem with my housing and Alan lent me his own one for a weekend while mine was being repaired.

     

    When my wife bought her first SLR housing (second-hand from Alan), he spent a whole afternoon with her in the Bristol shop to make sure she would get the most out of her new set-up.

     

    One day, he sent me a new housing days before I was due to fly out somewhere. The parcel didn't arrive in time and Alan offered to send a second one if I didn't manage to get hold of the original one from the postal services.

     

    I could go on, but I'll just say you can definitely trust Alan and Heather to offer you a very good service.

     

    JP

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.