Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

cracking sound from housing?

Started by scuba-s ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

cracking sound from housing?

4 posts
  1. i have a new ikelite housing and have done 6 trips with it on the last trip (2 dives) i noticed as i was decending from 5m-25m the housing made this cracking like sounds that freaked me out a bit,but it stoped,at the 25m mark, did it on both dives my question is what would cause this and has anyone else experienced this?

  2. yes, i believe all Ike housings do that, not sure though. Mine always did.

     

    Scared me too! But was fine, i wouldn't let it bother you.

     

    Has to do with pressure on the plastic.

    Edited by MikeVeitch
  3. yes, i believe all Ike housings do that, not sure though. Mine always did.

     

    Scared me too! But was fine, i wouldn't let it bother you.

     

    Has to do with pressure on the plastic.

     

     

    I never notice if my Ike housing do that sound, but I had an oly housing wich made noise like hell when I was going down...

    Edited by MikeVeitch
  4. I had this occur to me as well, felt and sounded more like a popping noise than a cracking but I think we experienced something similar. But yours sounds slightly different as was it consistent throughout the descent?

     

    Though I no longer have the ikelite housing, I remember this more so happening on ascents than on descent? You could feel it, like a slight shudder through the handle I was holding. It wouldn't happen over and over upon a dive, just once here or there and sometimes not at all. I related this to the housing adjusting to the pressure changes, and never had any problems with the housing but felt it was strange that the ikelite housings would do this? I could see this more so on the less thick housings from Olympus, Nikon, Fuji, and so on. You would think that because the ikelite polycarbonate was thicker than these and because there seems to be so many areas where the pressure can equalize more easily such as all the posts, knobs and button groves with the orings almost acting as a diaphragm, that this wouldnt be the case? (This is just a hypothesis, nothing tested for sure) It does scare the heck out of you, obviously everytime it happened an immediate check of the housing was deserved. You start to notice when it happens and it became somewhat 'familiar'.

    Though I have to admit, one time I was startled but the cause was my pop-up flash hitting the top of the inside of the housing because of the camera being in the wrong setting, ha.

     

    I never had a problem with my ikelite, it did what it was supposed to, and as long as I was thorough in my maintenance and set-up, I felt I trusted it to carry my equipment safely.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.