I met up with Martin Edge last week - and as usual enjoyed many wide ranging discussions on the world of underwater photography. One issue that came up, that I think could benefit from more discussion is the importance of accesories in creating stunning images. And by accessories - I mean fundamental things like lenses and strobes.
These days it seems that everyone is overly hung up on the sensor in the camera - to the point that they won't consider the other elements of kit that go into a good underwater camera system. I see plenty of high end DSLRs being pushed around underwater with just a kit lens (17-80mm) and a single strobe.
When budgeting for new gear - the attitude seems to have shifted towards buying the most megapixels possible - even if it means skimping on lenses and quality strobes. Is this a good attitude?
Is it best to get the best camera body you can afford - and then add the other bits as you go? Or get appropriate lighting and lenses in place for underwater photography?
Personally I think we can learn a lesson from compact shooters. I see many awesome shots being taken by photographers with fairly basic compact cameras - but the best of these photographers have had the wisdom to invest in wide angle and close-up accessory lenses and a pair of strobes - to achieve these results.
And I can't help feeling that those getting into a DSLR would be better off with slightly fewer megapixels at times - and slightly more versatility in lighting and lenses. I'd be interested in hearing opinions?
Alex