Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nikon SB80 DX

Started by Cybergoldfish ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Nikon SB80 DX

3 posts
  1. The new SB 80 DX looks pretty interesting with big improvements over the SB28.

     

    More power and wireless TTL (A decade behind Minolta) slave facility.

     

    Incidentally one of our members is producing dedicated housings for general sale.

     

    This provides a dedicated option to all Nikon based cameras so may answer some of those prayers eh!

  2. I've had one for 6 months now. I really like it. Although the differences between it and the SB-28 don't seem like much, it definitely is superior in certain situations. While I am happy with the strobe, I'm still pissed I had to buy it for the D100.

     

    As to wireless flash, read this article:

     

    About wireless D-TTL

  3. I have a DX 80. Great flash. If your going to take it UW you will need to know it's UW guide number. In my film past land strobes weren't considered optimal for UW use due to insufficient guide numbers. Typically it's less than half the surface guide number. In my conversations with Subal I got the idea that they didn't recommend the TTL contact being connected in the hot shoe if you are going to use manual strobes with the D100. To do so might cause havoc with the camera's electronic system. So if you get a housed DX 80 you may not be able to switch back to a manual strobe.

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.