Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Worm ID

Started by Lndr ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Worm ID

5 posts
  1. This one is from a dive on Sunday near the Inner Tubes, Jervis Bay, Australia.

     

    Matt took this photo of a worm and we are wondering what it is.

     

    cheers

    Leander

    post-1321-1169592029_thumb.jpg

    Edited by Lndr
  2. Hooray! It's one of mine ;) There's been a bit of a drought lately.

    Yes, this would be a nemertean; possibly a color variant of Notospermus geniculatus, which normally is a variety of green with white annuli. But it could be something altogether different and I would have to be able to see the head to know.

  3. I would have to be able to see the head to know.

     

    which end would that be ? (in the photo ;) )

     

    BTW, I'd love to be finding more too :unsure:

  4. It looks like the head is on left. My non-scientifically studied impression is that many of these relatively long nemerteans forage from hiding places, such as crevices, by exploring as far as they can with the head but leaving the tail end in the crevice in case the worm has to make a speedy retreat. In fact, if you can snag one of these worms it's kind of like pulling taffy, but it often is very difficult to get the back end out of its purchase.

  5. It looks like the head is on left.

     

    Lucky I asked then ... I thought it was on the right ;)

     

    no better shot available unfortunately :unsure:

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.