Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Problem w/NEF images in CS2/Bridge on a Mac

Started by seagrant ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Problem w/NEF images in CS2/Bridge on a Mac

9 posts
  1. Per example image below:

     

    Computer: Mac Powerbook, OS X.4.8

     

    Since using my Nikon d200 that loads .NEF files, on a very few of the RAW files that load into Adobe Bridge 1.0.4.6 (newest), I will get one or up to possibly four images with these strange lines.

     

    Sometimes if I reload the CF card (Lexar Pro 4GB 133x) to the same or an external HD the lines go away entirely for the NEF files on the card card or the lines will appear on other NEF RAW images or the lines will stay in exactly the same places on the same files.

     

    It happens on both my Lexar CF cards, they are both new.

     

    If I edit or save the RAW NEF file in another format including DNG the line still stays.

     

    It happens through my SanDisk Firewire Reader and directly through USB from the d200

     

    I've checked my Photoshop Plug-ins folder and only one plug in is installed and it is the correct one ACR 3.6 (newest)

     

    I've purged all the caches in Bridge and Photoshop that I know about.

     

    These lines only happen with the NEF files, my Fuji F810 RAW files (that are not even officially supported) have never had this abnormal strange line appear.

     

    Otherwise my computer is running great, 1 GIG memory has always been adequate and fine and I recently ran DiskWarrior (new directory created) but same lines still happen with the Nikon d200 NEF RAW files.

     

    Any ideas/suggestions?

     

    Thanks! Carol

     

    Example:

    NEF_image_problem.jpg

    Edited by seagrant
  2. thats a new one by me.. weird

  3. Yea Mike, I'm getting feedback on DDNet also, for more ideas and info but no pinpointed solution yet:

    http://www.digitaldiver.net/yabbse/index.p...;threadid=21387

     

    I also loaded the NEF RAW files on the same card in iPhoto 6 and got one file with the strange line on a different image and this image was fine. ;)

     

    So it is in Adobe Bridge and iPhoto.

     

    I'll try another computer tomorrow, it is getting late here (but not in Yap!!)

     

    Any other ideas are most welcomed!! I'll check both forums cause I really want to find out what is happening and how to handle it?

     

    Thanks, Carol

    Edited by seagrant
  4. Are you properly ejecting the media card or camera after you copy all the files over?

     

    By default, Mac OS enables read/write caching even on external devices (vs. Windows XP, which does not -- a better design decision, in my opinion). So if you yank out your card without ejecting on a Mac you're more at risk than if you do it on a PC.

    Edited by echeng
  5. Are you properly ejecting the media card or camera after you copy all the files over?

     

    By default, Mac OS enables read/write caching even on external devices (vs. Windows XP, which does not -- a better design decision, in my opinion). So if you yank out your card without ejecting on a Mac you're more at risk than if you do it on a PC.

     

    Thanks Eric, I'm not yanking!!!!

     

    Yes I know better, very, very gently ejecting and disconnecting. I've never accidently "yanked" either of these two new Lexar cards.

     

    I don't have any other CF cards to try, I'll try to get/borrow some. I guess the Lexar cards might have an issue, there is an image rescue disk with the Lexar cards, I could try that if I can find it.

     

    Or it could be the d200 I guess?

     

    Or someone said it might be a general problem with my computer cache but I just rebuilt my directory with Disk Warrior (awesome pgm), and these lines don't happen at all on my Fuji RAW files so??? But after I get some rest I'll try to find another computer to load the same cards on.

     

    This happens almost everytime I've ever loaded the images in Adobe RAW and iPhoto RAW so it is a situation that I need to track down and fix before I lose something important...... ;)

     

    Thanks, Carol

     

    PS - These lines don't show up on the camera's LCD screen, FYI....

    It is late here on the East Coast, I'm going to get some rest....

    Edited by seagrant
  6. Update on this saga as of today.

     

    Loaded 200 NEF files today and came up with 8 corrupted images like the example above. Action much more important now. I had been "testing" out different causes/etc this past week but today's card was another u/w card/manatee images and I don't want to chance losing some. Fortunately when I load the card again I'll probably get the corruption on different images, so I'll get some clean images, but still it is unsettling.

     

    We found it is not my Powerbook computer because the images loaded corrupted on other computers also with different readers/USB/direct from d200, etc. Still I got my Powerbook all tuned up and checked out and it is working great.

     

    Consensus is it is both, yes both of the Lexar CF cards. I'm finding all my purchase data and I'll be contacting Lexar right away.

     

    I'm told is a slight chance that it is the way in which the d200 is "talking" to the Lexar Pro CF 4GB 133x Wa, but opinion is from reliable sources due to the nature of the corruption and how it "moves" around the files that it is both of the cards. I understand Lexar (and maybe other manufacturers I don't know, only used Lexar.....) have had problems with their larger capacity/fast CF cards. Sure is good they have a lifetime warranty. Plus I bought from an u/w camera store so they are genuine.

     

    I'm going to purchase one or two SanDisk cards right now to get me by while Lexar decides what is wrong with theirs? I have to buy at least 4GB. But this will also help isolate if it is Lexar cards or not - if the SanDisk brand works.

     

    Still an expensive solution having to buy more cards to hold me. These cards aren't cheap! And brand new at that! I'll also let Backscatter know - the ones who recommended and sold me the Lexar cards.

     

    I'll post how Lexar addresses the situation.

     

    Just FYI and thanks for the help,

     

    Carol

  7. Carol - didn't you say the problem happens even when you use a cf card reader? And that the same image corrupts sometimes when reading and is fine upon other, successive reads?

     

    If so, it can't be the camera, unless it is setting the problematic "corrupt randomly upon read" bit. :blink:

     

    Anyway, I gave up Lexar long ago because of the issue they had with canon 1d series cameras. They fixed it eventually, but not before ruining many dives for me.

     

    It's been SanDisk ever since.

    Edited by echeng
  8. Carol - didn't you say the problem happens even when you use a cf card reader? And that the same image corrupts sometimes and reads fine other times?

     

    If so, it can't be the camera.

     

    Anyway, I gave up Lexar long ago because of the issue they had with canon 1d series cameras. They fixed it eventually, but not before ruining many dives.

     

    It's been SanDisk ever since.

     

    Thanks for the data that it can't be the camera. Eric, I get confused with these things and it helps to have objective data from someone who is used to tracking down electronic troubles.

     

    I'm glad it is not the d200 and it will be SanDisk for me too from now on too. I didn't know but I have "heard" Lexar is not as reliable as SanDisk. But I have to get my $$$ out of these CF cards and I'll post how Lexar handles the problem. I'll let Backscatter know also cause they are recommending/selling them, I bought them both there.

     

    Thanks much, Carol

  9. Shot over 300 frames on new SanDisk Extreme IV 4 GB card/Nikon d200, etc., underwater today and yesterday.

     

    Absolutely no corruption issues as posted above. (And BTW the SanDisk Extreme card downloads FAST with the firewire reader, new rebates available for the cards/reader this month also makes them more affordable!)

     

    So both the new Lexar 4GB cards were corrupted from the get-go. I sent them into Lexar, haven't received replacements yet - I'll post how long that takes.

     

    It makes a case for buying different brand and "lot numbers" of CF cards. I purchased the 2 Lexar cards because the underwater camera store recommended them with my new system. But being the serial numbers are very close to each other and that I've heard Lexar is not as reliable as SanDisk, well I ended up with 2 defective Lexar cards.

     

    A lot of money tied up in cards for this lesson.

     

    In the future I'd buy only SanDisk in my opinion. And I'll try to buy them from different "batches" so I wouldn't end up with 2 defective from similar manufacturing errors like what has seemed to be the case with the two Lexar cards.

     

    Actually if you read the Nikon d200 manual and their [capacity] test in the back of the owner's manual, they suggest using SanDisk cards (they did in their "example") - hmmmm, says something doesn't it?

     

    Thanks, Carol

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.