Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

"Rain X" on glass ports

Started by jams ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

"Rain X" on glass ports

11 posts
  1. Running a 5D in a Seacam housing and I want to take better O/U shots (you know, the ones without a field of blurry spots on the top half!). Had a friend bring me a bottle of RainX from the States, but read the label before applying (so sensible) and got scared by the warnings as I have the optical coating on my superdome.

     

    So, I'm wondering if it's safe to use it, or is it gonna melt off my optical coating?

     

    Anyone tried this or can give me advice?

     

    TIA,

     

    Jams.

  2. I use Rain-X on my Subal domeport for over-unders, and I consider it pretty essential. The downside is that it wears off fairly quickly. My best results have been doing the over-under shots immediately after entering the water (after applying Rain-X), as opposed to waiting until the end of the dive.

     

    But I have no idea what it would do to an optical coating, and I would hesitate to urge you to experiment. (Nor do I fully understand why there would be an optical coating on the outside (water side) of a dome port in the first place, but there you go. I'm sure there must be some very good reasons....)

  3. I too have looked into Rain X as I use coated ports (Seacam use an anti-reflection coating for the same reason as used on camera lenses) and after various posts, queries, etc. decided NOT to use Rain X on a coated port, so I'd recommend against it - Seacam suggest using washing up liquid - so I suppose Ecover would be a possibility if applied sparingly and away from wildlife! There are 'hydrophobic' (?) coatings available but these need applying during manufacture and so are not viable - I think Schneider produce one and I know of others not commercially available for our applications!

     

    If anyone has a really good, safe to use suggestion please let me know too!

  4. After a look/smell test, I think RainX contains alochol and silicone.

     

    Neither of which should bother a glass dome. I just got a 8" Subal glass dome and will be using it on the out side.

  5. Hi Gang, thanks for the posts so far...

     

    Frogfish - excuse my naiveness, but wasn't sure if the optical coating was on the inside or the outside of the dome (or on both). I kinda figured that an anti-reflective coating would be stopping reflections from within, but when we're dealing with a $1000+ piece of kit, I though it better to ask the question...

     

    Can any of the pros out there help us with this? Steve, James, Eric, etc...? I know some of you guys use the Seacam coated ports - any tips for us little guys so we don't ruin our kit?

     

    Thanks again,

     

    Jams

  6. Seacam coated ports have their anti reflection coating on the outside of the port - whilst it is pretty durable (you have to try hard to scratch it in my experience - like being hauled bodily into a RIB when a merchantman is bearing down on you, with the housing and camera grabbed and shoved onto dive gear; this will cause scratches!) I'm not sure how it would react to Silicone or Alcohol and am personally not prepared to try it! As I said previously, Seacam advised a 'surfactant' (washing up liquid - and I hope that's the right word) when I asked.

  7. Thanks Paul. I thought it wasn't a stupid question to ask! I guess I'll leave that RainX in the closet for now and stick with the fairy liquid...

     

    Although, here's a thinker: aren't most lens cleaning solutions alcohol based? Won't they therefore do the same kind of damage? Or is it the silicone that rainX leaves behind that's the problem?

     

    Any thoughts?

     

    James.

  8. Id use baby shampoo, polish one one layer, let dry add a second layer and polish it off when dry. it will give you about 10 mins on a split shot in water take some with you in a squeezy bottle. You need to dunk the dome port prior to use in water. Try to find shampoo with non SLS in it and perfume free so as not put create lather or smell to put off the critters. We tend to use Johnsons baby shampoo Lavender seems to work OK. Clear washing up liquid can work fine too.

     

    Dave

  9. WE CONSISTENTLY HAVE USED BABY SHAMPOO. You just need to get your 50 50 shots off within 7-10 min of applying. A couple drops with lens face up out of water Rub it around with your finger, rinse, shoot. All coatings on domes lenses etc have been on the exterior to our knowledge.

  10. Key here is to have the dome scrupulously clean, so the water doesn't bead/stream up as it flows off.   You shoot through a thin sheet of water.  Dunk and repeat.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.