I was reading UW photographers magazine & Dave Harasti was testing the D80 with a Sigma 17-70 maco. It sounded like a decent lens allowing a new photographer like myself to experience macro photography and shoot at a moderate wide angle. Am I missing something?
I've also been talking to other photographers who use a 12-24 with a +2 dipoter. Would I be better suited to use this lens?
Again, as usual, THANK YOU in advance for your help and guidance.
Ryan
Even when both are zoom lenses, the 12-24 is a Wide Angle Lens wich cover scenic pictures and probably big fishes, it´s also a keeper for UW shooting... 17-70 is a sort of scout lens, wich covers from a school of fishes to a flamingo toungue in the same dive, pretty nice optics and gives you decent sharpness. The +2 diopter you mentioned with 12-24 is just to improve corner sharpness.
If you are beggining on UWP I recommend the 17-70 because allows you to practice Wide Angle Technics and Close-Up / macro technics with only one lens.
There is always the 60mm wich allows close-up and macro portraits and is a superb lens. Cost almost the same as the 17-70.
Even when both are zoom lenses, the 12-24 is a Wide Angle Lens wich cover escenic pictures and probably big fishes, it´s also a keeper for UW shooting... 17-70 is a sort of scout lens, wich covers from a school of fishes to a flamingo toungue in the same dive, pretty nice optics and gives you decent sharpness. The +2 diopter you mentioned with 12-24 is just to improve corner sharpness.
If you are beggining on UWP I recommend the 17-70 because allows you to practice Wide Angle Technics and Close-Up / macro techinics with only one lens.
There is always the 60mm wich allows close-up and macro portraits and is a superb lens. Cost almost the same as the 17-70.
I took a Sigma 17-70 for my D70/Nexus on a recent trip to PNG. I was able to shoot both individual fish (Anthias, butterflyfish) and a 16' whale shark (full body length) on the same dive. If you are doing a dive with specific items in mind to shoot, then using a lens specific for those items is best (i.e., 60 mm micro, 10.5 mm fisheye). If you are "scouting," you could do worse than the Sigma 17-70.
Dave
all that advice is spot on.
Fantastic my first visit and i get the answer i was looking for.
many thanks to you all.
i hope to be back soon, keep up the good stuff.
cheers jp
....now off to buy a 5d with the sigma 17-70mm lens and an aquatica housing to stick it in.....