Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Help

Started by rodriguezfelix ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

Help

11 posts
  1. post-6136-1170536647_thumb.jpg

     

     

    Hi, I`m still searching on the net, but if somebody give me a hand with the common english name for this...

    Edited by rodriguezfelix
  2. Where was the picture taken?

  3. Where was the picture taken?

     

    Venezuela coast.

  4. Sorry, I don't recognise him.

  5. If you are after the common name do you have a scientific name?

     

    I'd go for the genus Brachysomophis, but I don't know of an Atlantic species. Just a guess.

     

    I presume you have looked at the two on P435 of Humann & DeLoach 3rd Edition?

     

    Alex

  6. I have a very similar picture taken in the US Virgin Islands. Definately some kind of snake eel, but it doesnt look like any of the images from the 3rd edition Humann/Deloach. I suppose there could be a lot of variation in the face markings.

     

    Cor

  7. If you are after the common name do you have a scientific name?

     

    Nop.

     

    I'd go for the genus Brachysomophis, but I don't know of an Atlantic species. Just a guess.

     

    I presume you have looked at the two on P435 of Humann & DeLoach 3rd Edition?

     

    Alex

     

    Yeap, but I agreed it doesn´t look like...

     

    Definately some kind of snake eel, but it doesnt look like any of the images from the 3rd edition Humann/Deloach.

     

    Cor

  8. Brachysomophis certainly has the look to me.

     

    Alex

  9. Brachysomophis certainly has the look to me.

     

    Alex

    I think Alex is right about Brachysomophis. When I said it doesnt look like any of the images I meant images from the Humann 3rd edition book on snake eels.

     

    Cor

  10. When I said it doesnt look like any of the images I meant images from the Humann 3rd edition book on snake eels.

     

    Cor

     

     

    Yeap, me too. Thanks Alex! now... any common names for this Brachysomophis or I can call it just an "Snake Eel"?

  11. I always called these guys crocodile/reptilian snake eels. But I have never seen one myself in the Caribbean region.

     

    Alex

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.