Has anyone tried this? It's a quote from DPreview.com again:
Great photos,...and extreme dynamic range. One thing I do when I have this much DR, (and this is really for those concerned with "sucking" detail, even when it is not artistically required...but let's not get into that discussion), is I transfer the RAW file as shot, then transfer the same shot with exposure compensation slider 2 stops under, then do same with slider 2 stops over. Then layer these 3 tif files, and adjust transparency on the over and under layers, (and maybe erase portions) This extends the already 5-6 stops of DR to about 10.
Obviously that's a lot of work but it might be worth it for a few of those underwater shots.
Cheers
James
I've used Fred Miranda's action. It was cheaper than me learning how to do layer masks myself. It works, usually. It can do some wierd things when the brightest area is next to the darkest area.
Somehow adding subtracting 2 stops seems like an awful lot.
Sure seems like something that could be done more directly (and faithfully) with curves. Since it's the same shot you don't actually have any "extra" data or DR.
Miranda's action is the right way of course, you but you need to take multiple shots. You can fake it like described. An interesting exercise would be to try the described way, then try to duplicate it directly with curves. I'd do it but I didn't buy that particular action.
I might try that for kicks on some land shots I have. but the main issue I have is usually have is blown out highlights, and there aint no amount post shooting exposure comp that will fix that.
So just dial in -1 EV then Bob and correct your exposure when you process your RAW image...:-)
Cheers
James
Try that new Velvia 100 Bob!!!
I plan on trying a ton of it in Belize!
Great, we can start our own Velvia 100 photocomp. Maybe let Scotty in on it too!