Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

What to buy first?

Started by KimInNB ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

What to buy first?

6 posts
  1. Hi there - I have a Canon Powershot A40 with the Canon housing and have been using it for the past year.

     

    I'm now at the point that I want to add on to the basic camera - a strobe and conversion lenses.

     

    So ... since I'm not made of money... what should I invest in first?

    - Ikelite DS-125 strobe

    OR

    - 3T macro lens & 16mm wide angle lens (the sea & sea MMII lenses work)

     

    Here's my galleries of what I've been able to capture with the basic camera

    Canada Underwater

    Bahamas

     

    I'm asking this now because I'm heading to the Florida Keys for a dive vacation in May and will not be able to afford both a strobe and lenses before that, but will be able to afford one or the other.

     

    Cheers,

    Kim :unsure:

  2. Your underwater photography will improve about 1,000% with a strobe. The colors will really start to "pop" in your photos like you've never seen.

     

    Learning to use a strobe does take some work and practice, but those lenses won't do you much good without some light.

     

    My opinion.

    James

  3. Strobe. Not much point to a wide angle lens without it.

  4. Definitely strobe - it's the difference between good photos and great photos.

  5. Strobe, definitely.

  6. OK - Strobe it is!!

    Thanks for your input - it's much appreciated!!

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.