I have a book titled "master guide for underwater digital photography" by jack and Sue Drafahl. They mention a framer enhancer which is a reflective plate that is angled under the lens oposite the strobe to assist with fill lighting on macro images. A google search for underwater framer enhancer revealed 1 hit for the book. Has anyone heard of these, or used one? I might try to put one together as a dIY project.
Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic
"framer enhancer" for single strobe macro images
Started by chaz ·
- 3Posts
- 3Replies
Read-only discussion
"framer enhancer" for single strobe macro images
-
-
I used these with my Nikonos macro set-up in film days. For those that haven't used this set-up, the framer projected below the lens and enabled the exact focus point to be found ie distance from lens to subject. There was no auto focus on nikonos. The reflector, in my case home made from a margarine tub and cooking foil, sat below the framer and gave some balance of light into the shadows from a single flash.
I wonder why these gizmos are not produce for digital cameras - maybe someone out there has a solution.
Jim A
-
basically a "reflector" same as a portrait/wedding/fashion/commercial photographer might use, just on a smaller scale. IMO much nicer light than 2x strobes for close-up, can be a bit of a "drag" in current...also has to be quite close to subject, so may scare critters off, and potentially damage stuff if user doesn't take care. Sometimes difficult to position depending on what you're shooting. I'm working on one using an ULCS arm off the second dovetail that can be manouvered in or out as needed.