Just a quick update from Hong Kong, I am here for an IUCN meeting about groupers, but I walked around town today and had to notice these enormous shark fins (which I am sure are from whale sharks). At first the owners wouldn't let us take pictures, but they were ok when we started smiling and acting like tourists. Believe me, that smile is forced, the shop owner was keeping a close eye on us and wouldn't let us photograph inside the store. The situation is serious, there are hundreds of shops like these.
- 4Posts
- 4Replies
Read-only discussion
Whale shark fins in Hong Kong
-
-
so that begs a call to arms if ever it was needed...
-
-
Luiz,
I think I recognize that shop. Sadly these shops have been around for a long time and the demand for shark fins in Asian countries doesn't seem to have diminished. If you see the exorbitant prices shark fins soups can command in high-end Chinese restaurants, you can easily see why Taiwanese trawlers are more than willing to span the entire globe searching for sharks... They're even encrouching on precious sites like the Galapagos and Cocos.
I've been working in HK for over 2 yrs and you just can't get away from it. Most frustrating part is going to business related dinners where the client tries to impress by serving the most expensive shark fin soup... It's a way for them to flaunt their wealth. As mainland China's economy continues to expand exponentially, I am afraid that demand for shark fin is also going to explode.
edit: didn't mean to sound to pessimistic. On a positive note, there is a growing grassroot movement. In addition to the sucess in getting Disney to remove shark fin from the menu at the Hong Kong Disneyland with the help of int'l environmental groups, Hong Kong University banned shark fin soup on campus and with any other catering services to the university. Small steps, but at least in the right direction...
Oh one more thing, here's an amusing cartoon from a local English language newspaper when HKU announced their ban.
