Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

FCP HDV Workflow

Started by peacedog ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

FCP HDV Workflow

6 posts
  1. My latest thread in the other forum made me think a bit harder about post workflow.

     

    It doesn't sound like we have a load of Final Cut Pro folks on the board (hard to tell), but I'm wondering if those of you using both the HDV system and FCP can help me set up a better workflow on my iMac. I bought it custom, so I've upgraded the RAM and the video card beyond what comes standard.

     

    I currently use some fairly generic settings, but I'm thinking the biggest thing that needs changing is my media format. Clearly, editing in straight HDV isn't a good idea given that I'll need to be doing some color correction and other effects.

     

    Whether it's worth posting here for everyone or PMing me is up to you guys, but it might not be a bad idea for those of you more used to HDV editing on a Mac to make a "cheat sheet" for the rest of us who are settling into this...if you're so inclined.

     

    Heinrichs, where you at, bro? *cough* :D

  2. Aaron,

    I sent you an email awhile back on workflow tips for FCP. Use AIC and you should be in good shape.

    I have been flying around like a mad man. i will be online a lot more come tomorrow...phew...

    from tokyo with love..

  3. It doesn't sound like we have a load of Final Cut Pro folks on the board (hard to tell),

     

    Are you implying there is something else other than Macs and Final Cut? I have never heard of that myself (Wagsy in case you see this, I know PCs and Edius :) )

     

    but I'm wondering if those of you using both the HDV system and FCP can help me set up a better workflow on my iMac. I bought it custom, so I've upgraded the RAM and the video card beyond what comes standard.

     

    Heinrichs, where you at, bro? *cough* :D

     

     

     

     

    Some of this varies depending on the machines and time frames and space available, I change things up slightly depending on which Mac I am using and what I have with me (sometimes I bring a SATA RAID on a trip with a MacBook Pro Duo, sometimes I have an iBook because I do not want to carry things, sometimes I am in front of the Tower with my real monitor and all my hard drives, so results will vary :))

     

    People argue this back and forth all the time as to the "best" way to work with HDV in FCP - there is the theory and the practical. Practically speaking HDV is not easy to work with because of the horsepower needed, and if you can edit in a format that is easy on your machine and meets your goals for output, such as Web or DVD, that is a good approach to consider and use.

     

    One way is to convert the material to DV Anamorphic - it is very easy to work with since it takes up less room then other Codecs and requires less horsepower and data rates compared to other Codecs.

     

    Then use Media Manager to create an HDV timeline of the DVD Anamorphic sequence, re-attach the HDV media, set the timeline to an Uncompressed Codec, such as 8-Bit, clear all render files and export the timeline. Depending on your computer, the length of the movie and other variables, while it is exporting go grab some coffee or a nap or see a movie.

     

    I know it sounds like alot, but actually pretty easy once you get used to it, does a good overall job (for DVD and Web it is fine).

     

     

    There are some other approaches/techniques to consider or explore, such as getting the HDV to DVD and an approach is here.

     

    http://www3.telus.net/bonsai/Welcome.html

     

    Worth looking at.

     

    HTH

    Edited by TheRealDrew
  4. Dog, I assume you have an Intel iMac?

     

    First thing, you need to do to plan your workflow is to know what you are going to output to and also what will be done with the clips.

    If you are doing simple color correction and cutting, Apple Intermediate Codec is fine for 1st or 2nd generation cuts. It is also a highly optimized codec for FCP so you should have no problem using it in r/t for simple cc and cutting.

    What TRD suggested is good for many but not for you. Unfortunately for you, 8 or 10 bit uncompressed HD for playback on your iMac is pretty impossible. You just don't have the speed on the drives and without a PCIe slot to put a RAID array.

    So basically, if you're editing on the iMac, stay with AIC so you can really see what you are doing since you won't have a broadcast monitor to see etc.

  5. What Drew said...what i do too:)

  6. I recently changed from capturing and editing in HDV to capturing and editing in AIC and am very happy with the results. This definitely seems to the be the best and prefered way of doing HD post in FCP

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.