Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

CP5000 and RAW vs FINE

Started by jpringle ·

  • 14Posts
  • 14Replies

Read-only discussion

CP5000 and RAW vs FINE

14 posts
  1. in this thread, kdietz said

    I use a Viking 512CF and get approximately 4-6 second record times in Fine and 22 seconds in RAW................I shoot Fine for that reason

     

    I would be very interested in faster RAW times if anyone is doing better with another brand card

     

    I haven't had a chance to play with RAW mode on my new CP5000 (the stupid useless CF card they supply with the camera won't hold a RAW file!) - is there really this much of a difference between Fine and RAW in this camera? 22 seconds is.......a.........long............time..........

     

    From most posts I've read, shooting RAW gives you better options for post-processing the images, and you don't lose any details from the compression. However, at a 5x increase in storage time....not sure if it's worth it?

     

    Also, does the camera show the image on the LCD when in RAW mode?

     

    So many questions.....

  2. My camera writes a raw file in 11 sec ve 22 sec for a Tiff. Most users agree that for the 5000 their is very little diff tween raw and Jpeg fine. I always shoot Jpeg fine with the 5000. I do use raw with the D100. It is nice to set your WB after the shot.

     

    Can't remember but I do believe that you still get an image on your LCD with the raw.

  3. I bought some SanDisk 128s from Costco (serves me right) and they are useless speed wise. Too small even for a doorstop. Now I'm using a Lexar 192MB 12X card - much, much faster. Anyway, I digress...

     

    I count 2.5-3.5 seconds at full size in fine jpeg mode, and about 15 seconds for RAW. I can't imagine using this mode underwater. Another thing to consider is the processing after the fact. It was suggested to me to go to Bibble for RAW plug in but they don't yet support the 5000. I'm not sure who does at this point.

     

    BTW, you definately get a preview with the RAW mode. A nice, long, preview.

  4. I found this posting on the dpreview forums quite interesting (and the thread is interesting too). Seems like RAW is possibly, maybe more useful if you're shooting DSLR, but of questionable value for the Coolpix line of cameras....

     

    Nikon RAW findings....

  5. I found this posting on the dpreview forums quite interesting (and the thread is interesting too).  Seems like RAW is possibly, maybe more useful if you're shooting DSLR, but of questionable value for the Coolpix line of cameras....

     

    Nikon RAW findings....

    I think that the argument for RAW is more compelling underwater. In the linked article, the assumption is that proper exposure and white balance can be consistently achieved (using bracketing if necessary). Underwater that's arguably not a good assumption. In the end, you work really hard for the images you get underwater, so it would be a shame not to record all the information you can. Of course, my experience is with a dSLR where the write penalty is acceptable.

     

    I believe that RAW is not necessary for everyone underwater. Depending on your camera, your subject matter, and your satisfaction with the color you get, jpeg may be a good alternative.

  6. I shot the 5000 entirely in RAW in Roatan. I have to admit I really like the ability to adjust the WB after the fact and play with the exposure.

     

    The delay was not too bad with the 1gig microdrive. Don't get me wrong long but. It gave me a chance to review and recompose or consider adjusting settings.

  7. Todd, how many shots does the 1 Gig card give you in RAW?

  8. 134

  9. Wow, that's pretty good. I purchased the C5050 while you were gone. Light & Motion is coming out with a housing with both ROC and TTL which put me over the edge. I'm on a waiting list and probably won't see it until May. You must get over 400 pics with jpg. too many reasons to upgrade for Me.

    Thanks,

    Rand

  10. 438 jpeg

  11. Ryan,

     

    How is LMI going to do TTL for the C5050? Interesting!

     

    Cheers

    James

  12. James, I'll let Ryan answer, as my explanation would be too technical for you, LOL! I did call them to make sure the strobe would fire in Super-Macro though.

  13. James,

     

    The Tetra 5050 will feature an expanded variant of the ROC strobe controller that copies the Olympus double flash, or pre-flash and main flash with ROC compatible strobes (nearly everything from Sea & Sea, and Ikelite DS- series).

     

    The camera will read the reflected light from the preflash, fire the strobes, and quench when the subject is properly exposed. I have heard rumors that the prototype results are very impressive, but for the real deal image results, we'll have to wait a while. I am most interested in the bracketing, and hoping I won't need to be, but most OLY images are overexposed for my liking, when you let the camera quench the strobe.

     

    ROC will give users 12 manual power settings, ttl, and ttl bracketing. Very, very exciting, and similar to what is offered by the T5000, only a little bit different in the mechanics, err, electronics.

     

    Ryan

  14. Why bother with Olympus. Have L&M put a CCD inside the Tetra and be done with it. :D

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.