Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Tell me what you think.

Started by kriptap ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Tell me what you think.

8 posts
  1. I got this email, I have removed the peoples name as I have not responded yet, just wanted to know what you think and how you would respond, again edited a little as I don't want to embarrass the writer:

     

    "We are the authors of several best-selling photographic volumes and marine life guides, including Malaysia Diving Guide (1999), Reef Life (2000), Sharks (2002), A Diver’s Guide to Underwater Malaysia Macrolife (2003), A Diver’s Guide to Reef Life (2006) and Oceani Segreti (2004), which was awarded the World Grand Prize at the International Festival of the Underwater Images in Antibes. Most of our books are available worldwide.

     

    We have literally fallen in love with some of your photographs we have seen on Flicrk.com and we’d really

    like to feature one or more of them (full page or double page spread depending on original photo orientation, with short technical / anedoctal notes and full, large-caption author’s credit) in our next book project – a large size volume featuring hundreds of our best images and an anthology of images both by professionals and amateurs which we deem worth including.

     

    Being a small quality-oriented publishing company we usually get images from occasional contributors free of

    charge (most of us do this for fun and glory and not to get rich, alas), but we are ready to consider discussing a small fee for publication rights if the request is reasonable."

     

    So there it is, let me hear your thoughts should I be flattered that they want some of my images or a little miffed that a company that tells me how successful they are and how well there books sell but then doesn't want to pay, or just a little for the images. What do you think?

    Edited by kriptap
  2. I'd take it as a pat on the back, and use it to inspire yourself to publish your own book.

  3. hehe Krip... the book titles sorta give it away. You may want to further edit it :lol:

    Take it for what it is... business. I don't know any business person who would offer top dollar first. Negotiate and see where it goes. Do a search on the going rates for coffee table books. If they want it bad enough, they'll pay.

  4. Well a bit hard to cut it all out, but I never said anything bad about them :lol:

    Edited by kriptap
  5. most of us do this for fun and glory and not to get rich, alas

     

    Well, that is very true. However the images are of value, and the use of the images is obviously expected to enhance the value of the product, otherwise they would not be using them. I don't think it is unreasonable to ask for reasonable compensation for use of the images. And it appears that they are willing to do that, to wit:

     

    but we are ready to consider discussing a small fee for publication rights if the request is reasonable.

     

    So I suppose it comes down to what is a reasonable fee request. It's hard to know for sure what they are thinking, but my gut feeling is that it will be in the 10's of dollars rather than the 100's of dollars range. Pulling a quote for a licence for three years worldwide double page spread inside use of an image in a nature/wildlife book from Alamy.com I get a price of $580 with a print run of up to 10,000. I would think that a relatively niche book like this would be considered to be doing extremely well if it sold 10,000 copies. I'd love to be corrected on that if anyone knows better.

  6. kriptap,

     

    Craig is accurate, but you never know how much they would pay until you determine:

     

    1) How many images do they want to use

     

    2) Where, as in placement, will they use the images (cover, inside cover / Table of Contents background, full page, 1/2 page, etc.)

     

    3) What is their timeline.....

     

    If they are saavy, but are under a timeline to select and do layouts and get the whole mess to press you could likely negotiate for a bit more.

     

    www.editorialphoto.com

     

    www.asmp.org

     

    Both of these have calculators and lots of information if you poke around. Or you can do a search via Google. Or try shopping at Corbis or Getty.

     

    EVERYONE starts out wanting their name in print bylines. Then you slowly realize they are getting paid for selling their book, writing their book, etc. So you should provide publishable quality material for FREE? After spending THOUSANDS (yes, thousands of dollars if you add up your gear, time, travel expenses, etc.)

     

    I've countered to someone asking for free images if they will be sending me gift certificates to restaurants so I can feed my family.....Or sending my broker $$$$ to fund my Roth IRA. Usually in a moderate wise ass way :lol:

     

    Do what you want, but maybe even ask for 100 books you could sell yourself (?????)

     

    I strongly disagree with talented shooters (like you!) giving away material because someone can't / won't budget to even pay, as Craig says, a few bucks to make their project shine.....

     

    YMMV

     

    dhaas

     

    post-244-1171217124_thumb.jpg

  7. Hey Krip,

     

    I got the same e mail a few days ago and had the same reservations, although I agree with Drew they are starting low which is what you must expect them to do.

     

    I think I am going to follow the advice of most of the posters to this thread, respond and see what develops but I will expect something in return for the use one of my images.

     

    Martin

  8. Thanks all for the words and advice lots of good stuff, I'll go a head now with the deal.

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.