I'm looking for advice from folks who have rigged a strap mechanism for their housings for serious high current descents (and ascents).
For years I always just used a simple thin cord lanyard, attached to one handle of the housing and then locked to my wrist by a sliding toggle. But I always hung on to the housing for the entire dive. Then, a few months ago, hanging on to a deco line in raging current, my buddy got tangled in a loose piece of rope. I needed both hands to solve the problem, one to hold on and one to untangle the rope from the first stage of his regulator. I had to let go of the housing. This was a most unsatisfactory experience. The housing was banging all over the place in the current, even hitting me in the face. Luckily it only sustained minor scratching on the corner. But, I realised after the event that there was a huge risk of the thin lanyard breaking and losing the camera in the current. (we both survived!)
So, I developed a double line harness with strong nylon rope. My BCD has a D-ring on each of the front straps, located towards the top of the chest. I bought some thick nylon rope, the type that is made in a sort-of tubular plat (if you hold the rope in two hands and push together, the rope widens into a tube). I bought two aluminium carabiners.
I measured the distance that I wanted the housing to hang down (waist-level), ensuring that I could still handhold the housing at a comfortable distance from my body. I cut two lengths of the rope, each measured at double the length needed plus about 2 spare inches that would be lost in the melting / joining process of making the ropes. I then melted each end of the rope lengths and while still hot and pliable, molded the rope ends into a point by squeezing an old cloth around the ends.
Then I threaded the rope through a hole in the top of the housing arms and by teasing a hole in the side of the platted rope, passed the pointed end of the rope down through the center of the rope. The pointed end of the rope will make its way down the rope if you compress the outer rope to open up the tube. When reaching the middle, I then pulled the end of the rope back out through the weave on the outside of the rope. Then I made a loop on the other end and did the same thing, feeding it through the center of the rope tube, so that both the pointed ends are sticking out the same hole in the side of the outer rope tube. I then cut off the melted pointed ends and twisted the ends together, using a cigarette lighter and cloth to melt then squeeze the ropes two ends together. The rope is now a continuous circle, with a loop on both ends and the rope looping back down the middle of itself. I then pushed the joined ends back into the center of the rope tube, closing up the hole in the outer tube. Finally I added the carabiner to the loop on the loose end and used a couple of plastic cable ties to lock the carabiner into place so it is always in the right place and attitude to quickly clip on to the D-ring on the BCD.
I don't know if my description above makes sense but the end result is two thick unbreakable ropes connected firmly to each of the top of the housing arms and, on the loose end, a carabiner firmly held in the right place and direction to lock quickly onto my BCD. The system is comfortable enough to have it connected for the entire dive, allowing me to drop the camera at any time. The camera dangles at about my waist-level if I am vertical and hangs about 2 feet below me if I am finning horizontally. Taking it off (e.g. for a shot of a little critter that is too nervous to come out of its hole with a diver present), is a simple matter of unclipping the 2 carabiners - takes about 5 seconds...
The two ropes are also useful when someone is lowering the housing down from a boat as it gives them something to hold on to if the distance between the deck and water is rather high. In this case, I clip the two carabiners together to make a nice cradle.
I have taken a photo of the ropes on the housing and posted it here. I have the same system on my housed DSLR and housed video camera.
Regards
Peter
